promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Whats a good diet and supplements to add muscle?

im looking to add 20lbs of musule in 4months. right now im 6'2 170lbs. can anyone help me with a proper diet plan and some recommendations for some supplements that will help me reach my goal? going to the gym isnt the problem. its adding the weight. im taking protein and ive used some supplements in the past but i never seem to gain the amount of weight i want. i used to be 155-160 almost a year ago and now i feel like im stuck at 170.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Believe it or not, you need to increase your carbs. Everyone thinks added protein means added muscle, but without the added carbs to shuttle the amino acids from the protein into the muscle tissue, the protein is basically useless. Increase your complex carbs in the morning hours. Add about 2 cups of oatmeal to your diet (uncooked, about 4 cups cooked) to your diet between the hours of 7AM to 2PM and also a sweet potato before 2 PM.

Believe it or not, you also need to add fat to your diet. Good fat consisting of Omega 3 and Omega 6. Why? This will help your insulin sensitivity also needed to put your body in an anabolic state. Eat your fats after 2PM. Some good sources are fish, flax, and nuts as well as fish oil, flax oil, and natty peanut butter.

You should have your protein in pretty equal doses throughout the day. So if you are taking in, say, 200 grams of protein, try to split this up into about 35 g of protein 6 times a day. Do not depend completely on protein supplement. It's a "supplement" and not a "replacement". Try to get your protein from real, lean sources such as chicken and fish as well as lean cuts of steak.

Get at least 8 hours of sleep. Sleep replenishes your testosterone levels. Without this hormone, you can't build muscle tissue. It is in the last hours of sleep (hours 6 through 8) that you really hit the deep sleep that will produce the most testosterone.

Drink plenty of water. At least 2 liters a day. Maybe even 3 or 4. Why? Water is used in conjunction with the carbs to shuttle the amino acids to the muscle tissue.

Finally, hit the weights HARD. None of that "count to 10 reps" crap. Go to failure. You have to go past the pain and keep going when your body is telling you "no more". It is in this state that the body is saying "Hey, maybe I need to build some more muscle because this guy is crazy and I don't want to go through this pain anymore."

Hope this helps. E-mail if you have questions or would like a sample mass building diet.

Source(s): http://www.abcbodybuilding.com Not a plug. Simply the best site out there.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Start Gaining Muscle Today - http://BuildMuscle.oruty.com/?tyUZ
  • 1 decade ago

you need to start counting calories. unless you truly know how much you are eating you will always be guessing. you aren't eating enough to gain weight it's that simple. supplements do pack on muscle real food does.

Source(s): I work for a cosmetic surgeon and compete in fitness competitions.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well start eating more and then once you gain the weight you want just exercise.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • 1 decade ago

more proteins!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.