Is"insect control" necessary?

I've just got an estimate on my lawn and they want to charge $113 for insect control. I havn't really noticed many insects and arnt they a part of your backyard anyway

Is it necessary?

What is it anyway?

Favorite Answer

Insects are a part of the environment, some are helpful, some are harmful. There is a chance that your lawn tech may have noticed the presence of some "bad guys" out there. Was this a part of a package? Was it insects, and not fungus, or weeds? Most people are not aware, that not all "pests" are insects, some are fungi, some are weeds and weedy grasses. There are insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides, they are often lumped under the generic term "pesticides". If you are sure that it was insects, you might ask the tech what insect he is treating for, and why it is needed.

Sometimes it is necessary, if you want a safe, healthy lawn.

• Kat

It would depend on what kind of pests they found and how you feel about chemicals being used on your lawn. Chemicals kill both the good and bad insects in your yard. I would find out just exactly what the company thinks your lawn needs controling. They are probably just trying to add an additional charge onto your pill. And if not, you can explore your options (there are more earth-friendly ones out there, and perhaps cheaper ones, if you don't mind the chemical) for controling whatever unruly insects you have. I know of people who spray for a specific problem, such as fleas and ticks or a specific pest that is damaging plants, but not a general "insect control."