What do the different colors on bread twist ties mean?

Favorite Answer

It has to do with the delivery day, which makes it easier for the bread guy to organize the product - - it helps him quickly identify the old bread so he can pull it off the shelf, leaving only the freshest bread available. Sometimes you can find the key posted on the wall behind the bread shelving. That way, you can pick the color that was delivered most recently, for the freshest product.

Source(s): You can confirm this at snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/breadtag.asp
  • DonnaL

An email as going around saying that every different color of a twist tie meant it was made and packaged on a different day..something about how old the bread might be.

Source(s): Had the old email and really do notice the different colors.
  • tuft

I used to work in a grocery retailer and noticed no pattern...Ie blue invariably means Tuesday. In fact repeatedly it was a real anguish to check out to quickly pull the spoils for the reason that many times two days in a row had the equal color. However sure all of the codes which are the same could have the equal colour.

• obee

I used to artwork in a food market and observed no trend...ie blue constantly ability Tuesday. in reality now and returned it became a real soreness to attempt to quickly pull the spoils because of the fact now and returned 2 days in a row had a similar shade. yet confident all the codes that are a similar might have a similar shade.

In alot of companies it will cooincide with the pull date or the day of delivery. For example: Monday is Red, Wednesday is yellow, etc. Some do have dates or other codes on them.

Wow I never noticed. I guess they are trying to coordinate with the colors on the bread package.

Used to have the day baked on them...

I have heard(don't know if it actually true)

That they represent the day of the week it was packed on.

they means they were baked on different days.

it indicated the date it baked.