daycare rules?

Do child daycares have rules about Grandparents coming to pick up a child for a few hours and returning them? I have permission from the mother,and I am on the list at daycare? Would this be detrimental to my g/baby to do this? What if I take her back and she cries alot? Am I hurting her more that way? I am just trying my best to get to be with her.

Favorite Answer

i work at a daycare and we allow people visit but it has to be in written consent from the parent to allowed a person to come visit the child and take them out of the building (ie grandparent, parent) when you do drop her off she will cry but i am sure her care provider will calm her down.. GOOD LUCK

Some day cares do not like you to bring the child back after you have taken them from the facility during the day. It's very difficult to get the child back into the routine of the day if they have been gone for a couple of hours. They may not sleep when the other children are sleeping, they may not eat at the right time, they may cry excessively when you drop them off, etc. Also, many times, in an effort to save a little money, the day care may send staff home early if they meet the ratio requirements with less teachers. I would suggest going towards the end of the day to get your grandchild, maybe an hour or two before pick up time, and keep her with you until you take her home to her parents. I think that would be easier on everyone.

Some daycares allow and even encourage this assuming the parent gives permission for this specifically. Some daycare centers or homes may discourage this.

My child is in daycare within the building where I work. I can and do drop by during the day for a few minutes from time to time and she is fine with it. She LOVES being with other kids and would rather stay than go home most afternoons. Other parents of kids in the same center don't drop by because the kid doesn't adjust as well. See if mom and g/baby want to give it a try...

It depends on the daycare I don't know if you are in a center or a home daycare but the daycare centers tend to have alot more rules and regulations. It is probably better for everyone your grandaugter and the staff if you took your grandaughter say in the afternoon and kept her until her mom gets off of work. It is a big distraction to the children and the staff when children are being picked up and then dropped back off. I know in my daycare the kids love coming but they also love there parents and grandparents and when they know someone is coming for them early its exciting yeahh my grammy's picking me up so they think they get to go home for the day or get to do something fun. Then they get brought back to where they have had enough of and they get all worked up which then gets everyone else meaning the children and staff thrown off for the day. It's hard explaining what I mean unless you see it.

• Shorty

Speaking as a daycare mother, I wouldn't do that sort of thing on a wim. It's one thing if you need to take them out of daycare for an appointment and have lunch with them before bringing the child back to daycare---that kind of thing can't always be helped. But if it's a matter of spending time with the child, I would side with a "no return" policy, otherwise it could upset the child's routine or confuse her. I think it may make things a little more challenging for daycare workers to track kids if this sort of thing were commonplace.

That's my two cents...

No daycares don't have rules about it. I don't think it is good for her to pick her up and bring her back because it is stressful to the child to be dropped off, and to go through that twice is twice as stressful for them. Also when she is there all day they have a pattern that the children get used to, like snack, outside play, lunch nap. You may be disruptining the other kids or caregivers by bringing her back at certain times or even the pattern your grandchild is use to. Of course your intentions are good, but maybe if you could try to pick the child up late in the afternoon and keep her at your house and let her parents get her there.

I work in a child developement center and we have grandparents who take their grandchildren out for lunch all the time. Check with the center for the specific rules (some places want a note, some places are fine as long as you're on the list) and talk to your grandchild's teacher to find out the best time of day to do it (some times are naturally better than others) and for any tips about dropping the grandbaby back off at the center. The teacher also will know your grandbaby and how s/he handles changes in schedule. Not mention knowing the class schedule so the teacher can tell you something like, "Well, please pick him/her up after 9:00 because that's our story time and please have him/her back by 1:00 because that's our nap time," or whatever.

It's absolutely not going to be anything but good for your grandchild.

You sound like a loving grandparent, a far better choice for the child to spend time with than a paid daycare worker. Detrimental? You gotta be kidding. Love that baby as much as you can. With parents who leave her there for hours, she is missing out.

At the daycare I worked at we had grandparents do this all the time. Mostly, the children knew what was going on that they were coming back and were ok with it. SOmetimes it is very hard on the child and you will just have to see how it goes. I think it should be fine just don't forget to tell the teachers that she is coming back!

i have worked in many daycares and most dont mind as long as you fill out the consent for the grandparents to pick them up but it is very hard on the child and teacher when they are brought after a couple hours because the child does not usually understand.