Greg S asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Does Rogaine work? How about Propecia?

I'm 19 years old and already showing signs of baldness. I've contemplated suicide but I figure either Rogaine or Propecia might be a better option. Do you know anyone who it's worked for?

Another option I'm considering is hair transplants - thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Suicide.. Yikes - please don't.

Propecia/Proscar is worth a shot! I am in my mid-20's and am using it as well, with favourable results thus far. (I use nizoral shampoo as well)

Rogaine - I have not used.. but figure this may come as a backup plan in a year..

As for people it's worked for - the reason I am taking it, is because one of my previous GP's had great success with it.

The fact that you are trying to educate yourself at such an early stage is good. because Propecia, while it may not grow hair BACK for many people, it does seem very effective in maintaining the level you have.

Talk to your doctor about it. They hear it all the time.

Oh - and as for hair transplants - I'd say you are too young for them - in the sense that, moving hair now, will create a need for numerous treatments as your baldness evolves.

My best suggestion would to be to try out your first 2 options, if those don't work, then perhaps evaluate it as a last option.

G/L

Source(s): personal experience

Rogaine works from SOME people - but not all - and when you stop using it - you lose anything you've gained. Propecia has more side effects than you would care to deal with. ( Go online & type in - Propecia Side Effects - and read carefully.) Many guys spend a small fortune trying to outrun baldness with pills, creams, lotions, foams, wigs, weaves & transplants - but - in the end they still must accept the inevitable & get on with the rest of their lives. Life is not always the way it's supposed to be. It's just the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Honestly the best thing you can do is be comfortable with yourself and realize that it really does not make a difference. I know people who were completely bald at 20, yet they never had any problem with the girls... and they have become quite happy with their lives as well. Those hair formulas will almost certainly not give you the result you are looking for. Personally I am against transplants too. It is all a matter of self confidence... if it becomes a real problem psychologically, I suggest you see a counsellor to fix what is IN your head, not ON it.

Best of luck.

rogaine only works as long as you are taking it once you stop taking it the hair falls out again. i'm not sure about propecia i've never read up on it. hair transplants can be pricey but they are permanent and are natural. but as you get older and continue balding you'll have to keep getting them. if you consult with your doctor they will be able to tell you about all of your options and which will be best for you.

Source(s): went to cosmetology school

Rogaine took like all of my sisters uncles hair out and her moms except for like a patch. hair transplants usually work well...

please dont commit suicide!!!!!!

You may know all of this already, but keep in mind that they are different approaches to the same problem, which is a particular enzyme's conversion of testosterone into DHT, and it's this DHT that interferes with normal hair growth. At least, that's what the scientists think at this point. They're trying to pin down specific genes that are involved in hair loss, and one day will.

Rogaine is topical and Propecia is internal - you have to get a prescription for the Propecia. Rogaine is sold over the counter.

Rogaine breaks up the DHT by penetrating into the scalp; Propecia interferes with the production of that enzyme in the body, which reduces the DHT formation in the first place. So, you can use both of them at the same time, if you wish, one "on", one "in", but, the cost would probably be prohibitive. From what I've heard, Propecia alone is pretty expensive stuff.

How well they work depends on who you talk to. You should see some results with either, but it may take awhile, and whether these results will be satisfactory enough, and worth the cost, will end up being a personal decision.

http://www.8005324808.com/

You'd just have to try one for awhile and see how you feel about it, but there's one little hook to keep in mind. Rogaine or Propecia will not give you back a full head of hair, and in fact, you may not be particularly happy with the results, but, you won't know if the product is helping to slow the losing process down, so you'll be afraid to quit, which is just the drug companies want.

They don't care about your hair, they care about your money, so, be prudent in your decision making, and good luck.

Source(s):

http://www.healthy-pharmacy.com/

http://www.rx-afford.com/

Top Online Store >>===> http://propecia1.w3org.pw/h1kxg