Working with your SPOUSE +++++++++++++++++?

The topic of my boyfriend and I working together someday came up. We plan on getting married sometime after college. He said there is no way we are going to be working together because his aunt and uncle work in the same place. They're miserable. They fight and get tired of seeing each other all the time. He had a good point there. So I agree with him about spouses working together their whole life. At first, it may seem really cute... but then, reality will hit ya. It gets boring.

So.... I'm just wondering.

How would you feel working with your spouse?

Are there any people who DO work with their spouse? How is that experience? And please, be honest here. THANKS!

Favorite Answer

We worked together for a couple of years and never had any problems. But we worked in different departments so we really only saw each other for lunch breaks.

But working closely would be too stressful for business and marriage I feel. Even though work isn't always fun, it's also an excape from the "home life" per say. Everyone needs a break!

There is no perfect relationship as a couple whether you are working separately or working together . Problems, arguments, misunderstandings and whatever conflict will surely beset in a relationship . It depends on how the two of you as a couple will handle it...if you will meet halfway to make both ends meet or go on separate ways stubbornly under the cloak of pride. Getting married is already a day to day working relationship with each other and if you really love each other that much then no working situation is ideal...because for a couple in love trully with each other...every moment is priceless till your dying age. If you can not bear working with your spouse for 6 to 8 hours a day....then how can you be sure to be with him in your lifetime?

My first husband and I started a business together and worked everyday together for over 15 years before he passed We never got tired of each other and things were good at home Of course we were older and married for over 17 years when we did this I guess it depends on the couple and what they do for a living we had fun and did our bickering about a job so we never bickered about our life

• oldman

Yes I work with my wife...we own a repair shop and a farm...so work together ALL the time! Is it easy....no....in the shop....I am the boss....when it comes to the farm...she is the boss. We don't always see eye to eye....but the key is do NOT take your work home with you! No its not always that simple to forget what happened at work once you get home....but it can be done. We have been doing this now for 15 years....and yes at times work has come home with us....but we get through it....it just takes some getting us to is all. And to tell you the truth....I think its brought us closer together...I know when she has had a bad day and why.....and she knows when I have had a bad day......we talk each other through it.....having said that....I don't think its for ALL couples.....only you would know if its right for you *S*

Best of luck

well i worked with my husband for like 3 years. it was a great experience.

it's just a really good idea to never ever bring work home with you (don't talk about work at home....it just has to leave at the door)....the same way as you should never bring arguments from home into work. ever.

another thing i just sort of...noticed. don't compare your relationship (past, present, or future) to any one elses. just because his aunt and uncle are miserable, doesn't mean you will be!

I look forward to going to work so I can get some time away

OH NO, I love my husband way to much to kill him. That is what would happen if we were together too much. Every one needs their own time and besides, we are way to much alike to work together.

Dump his sorry as.s!!! If he is feeling that way when you are dating then the marriage is bound to fail. He doesn't want to work with you because he'd rather chase the secretary around the boardroom table all day and then come home and complain about dinner!!

DUMP HIM!

i worked with my hubby before we got married. i wouldn't want to keep working together because it's awkward. also many companies have a policy against it.

Oh hell no......... we would kill each other for sure. Mostly we'd have conflicts over who was in charge since we're both pretty much alpha personalities at work.