my 9 month old daughter most of the time has her hands in a fist closed is that normal?

Favorite Answer

don't worry it's natural

I am not a doctor. I will tell you though that when I brought my daughter in for her ? 2 month old appointment, the doctor made mention of her fists being closed tight as a possible neurological problem. Luckily, it turned out to be nothing. At 9 months, it could be something significant, but I think they usually look for other indicators as well. I don't think that just the closed fists are going to be the basis of any diagnosis. You should just call her pediatrician and ask them about it. Good Luck!

• sdc_99

Ask you pediatrician. My husbands niece had mild cerebral palsy as a result of oxygen deprivation at birth (very complicated delivery) but by the time she was 9-10 the only remaining symptom was a tendancy to clench her fists when she was distracted. She's now an A-student, a serious jock, and a bundle of mood swings. In other words, a fairly normal 14-year old.

• S. W

No, that is not normal development. At this age, they should be able to figure out that the toy they were just playing with is still under the pillow where they saw you put it.

Please inform her pediatrician. They can run some non-invasive tests to determine if and where she's developmentally delayed.

No, fisting is not normal at this age.

Discuss with your doctor and ask for a referral to an Occupational Therapist.

My son is 9 months as well and he has been doing that since he was born. I still have to pry them open to wash them, so i think its pretty normal.

Source(s): Mommy os 3 yr old daughter and 9 month old son

not at this age.. that stage should have been over at the 3 -4 months..

Usually they have something in them at all times. At least my kids did. I wouldn't worry too much but I would bring it up at her next appointment.

Source(s): 22 weeks with #4