I just found out I grind my teeth...how do I stop?

I went to my dentist today and found out that I have most likely been grinding my teeth at night...this has nothing to do with my jaw being out of place b/c my jaw was fully reconstructed after I broke it a few years ago and plates have reconstructed it....I will be getting a night guard but I want to know how to stop the grinding without me having to sleep with that in every night...does anyone have any ideas? THANKS!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

KORTNEI,

HAVE YOUR DENTIST MAKE AN N.T.I. APPLIANCE TO WEAR AT NIGHT. BRUXISM, GRINDING, IS MOSTLY A STRESS-RELATED PHENOMENON. WEARING THIS SORT OF APPLIANCE KEEPS YOUR TEETH FROM CONTACTING TO GRIND. A TYPICAL NIGHT GUARD WON'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. YOU'LL STILL GRIND, PROBABLY TROUGH THE GUARD, BUT THE MECHANISM WHICH MAKES YOU GRIND WON'T BE FIXED. WITHIN SEVERAL WEEKS OF WEARING THE APPLIANCE THE CHEWING MUSCLES SHOULD RELAX, AND THE HABIT SHOULD VANISH. GOOD LUCK.

Grinding your teeth (bruxism) is often an result of stress. The night guard is necessary (and a good idea!) for now, but if you want to stop the grinding permanently, you should address the root causes:

Are you having trouble at work? School? Home?

Are you an anxious person in general?

Have you ever been in therapy, or thought about it?

I put a link in the source that has a lot of great information. Good luck!

You can use a guard footballplayers use you can buy it at any sportstore for about $ 20.However , it will probably take some time for you to stop grinding your teeth, but you should be able to "train" your teeth to stop, it worked for me after a couple of month I stopped. Good Luck . N.C.

I have heard that people that grind their teeth in bed, go to bed at night with something on their minds that needs to be explained or solved. Were you ever told that you have an emotional behavior?

Maybe a sleep aid to change your brain wave patterns - like Ambien or Lunesta.

You may want to try pulling an all nighter so you'll be very tired the next night and see if that cures it.

Try sleeping in a different position.

They have teeth guards that you can get to put on and you will not grind your teeth at all. My bro's friend's dad has one and he says it works great.

get used to the night guard ;)

I've been doing it my entire life. Nothing helps

im sorry but a gum shield is the only thing that will garantee u stop.... once u have kicked the habbit u wont need it... honestly its worth using it.

• wear a rubber band and every time u grind ur teeth pop ur self with it.GOOD LUCK!!!

Source(s): my moms a dentist