liz_ asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Is it true that you grow more when you sleep?

Favorite Answer

yes and no...yes because the padding in between your vertebra decompress because there is no weight on them so your like an inch taller in the morning...no because you are only gaining the inch you lost from standing all day that compressed the padding between your vertebra

• husam

While you sleep, your body releases the growing hormones. If you are sleeping when your biological clock thinks it is night time, usually during night time, then and only then will your body release the proper amount of hormones.

It is also true that on average, when you go to bed, the cartilage in your spine has compressed a total of 4 inches, and that while you sleep it relaxes (lengthens). It will only relax a certain amount.

I'm not sure about the padding on your feet thing, but the sources could help you there.

Obviously though, your body has to have enough nutrition or else it won't let out the hormones.

I heard the same thing, and the way it was explained to me was that during the night, your feet are at rest, and therefore, the padding on your feet is not being compressed. When you stand up in the morning, you seem taller, but when you go back to sleep at night, after walking around all day, you will be a bit shorter.

I dont know how correct this is, though.

Do you mean like sleep long periods or just normally sleep everyday? Sleeping helps your body grow when you are tired it puts you to rest to replenish energy so you can grow. If you are talking about sleeping long periods of time dont do it. you need to be awake to move and make your body to stetch and move around to grow.

As for weight, you actually lose weight every night while you sleep.

no, actually, you are a little taller than when you went to sleep, but only if you went to sleep laying down (not sitting) because it rests your back, which has been carrying your entire body weight for the entire day. and the pads of your feet aren't as compressed. so no, you don't actually grow, since when you go to sleep, you would be the same height as when you went to sleep the previous night.

When you sleep, downward force isn't exerted on your spine, so it's able to sort of "stretch out". When you get up again you're half an inch taller, but your spine is eventually compressed by the end of the day, and it starts all over.

No it is a lie...infact you will only grow by being awake and eating food and exercising and ageing naturally...

Yes. What kevin and indiantea said.

I know when you are younger you grow in your sleep.I've never heard of that being older.

Yes and no.When i wake up part off me grew.But it goes away