Lepke
Lepke asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What do you put in your chicken salad?

My in-laws are coming for lunch on Saturday and I want to make chicken salad. I usually put grapes or cubed apples in it, but am wondering what else I can put in chicken salad. By the way, raw onions of any kind are out (Mother-in-law doesn't like), green peppers are out (Father-in-law doesn't like). They also don't like any "wierd" flavors, so curried chicken salad is out. They also don't like anything hot/spicy, including black pepper. HELP!!!

Favorite Answer

I don't like to put too many things in my chicken salad, just a couple - else it just takes away from the flavour of the chicken. So basil leaves and sundried tomatoes, or olives and feta cheese, or sliced eggs and bacon, or shell pasta and basil pesto.... plus either grapes, apple or mango slices.

Mmmm i'm hungry now!!

1

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Guide : http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?qnkd

San Antonio Chicken Salad

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 large whole chicken breasts, split, boned and skinned

1/2 cup salsa

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

1 ripe avocado

1 cup sliced celery

Bibb or leaf lettuce leaves

4 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbled

Preparation:

Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine salsa, cumin and salt in 10-inch skillet. Cook chicken in salsa mixture, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer contents of skillet to mixing bowl; cover and chill thoroughly.

To serve, combine chicken mixture, sour cream and mayonnaise. Mix well. Peel, seed and coarsely chop avocado. Add avocado and celery to chicken mixture. Mix lightly. Spoon onto lettuce-lined salad plates; sprinkle with bacon. Serve with additional salsa on the side.

I make a pretty basic chicken salad with mayo, ranch dressing, finely chopped celery, chopped green apples, and a dash of salt and pepper that everyone seems to love.

Make a Chinese Chicken Salad. Buy Soy Vey salid dressing, add 1/4 C dry roasted nuts diced to big bowl of chopped lettuce, celentro, chicken - toss.

Yum!

1/2 cup light mayonnaise

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 cloves crushed garlic

3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked

1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped

1 Avocado, sliced

If I were you, I would just do a search for "chicken salad recipe" in any of the search engines and it will bring you to several different sites so that you can choose the best recipe for your in-laws.

I put white onions, celery, sweet pickle relish, and miracle whip. I also boil the chicken in chicken boullion cubes (2) I also put a little salt in it. You can save the chicken stock-freeze it.

How about a mixture of chicken, apples, raisins and walnuts, and instead of 100% mayo for the dressing, mix mayo and sour cream?

Well, I usually take chicken and mayo (obviously!), cubed grapes, boiled eggs, ketchup and mustard. But, here's a link to a bunch of recipes:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickensalads/Chi...