Can I file more than 1 tax return?

I worked for two different employers last year. I received a W2 for one, but I'm still waiting for the other. Can I go and file for the one I have, instead of waiting for the other one?

Favorite Answer

No, you can only file one tax return. It would be unfair to allow a taxpayer to file multiple tax returns, since each tax return would give the taxpayer the standard deduction and personal exemptions, so in effect with two returns, you would be claiming your deductions and exemptions twice.

No. The return is for all your income and tax liability for the year, not by employer. You could really mess things up, as the second return would technically be a refund claim and would have to follow the requirements for a form 1040X, with copies of the old and revised returns attached. In other words, don't go there.

NO. You need to wait for the second W2. You need to add ALL of your income for the year on one return to arrive at an accurate tax return.

No, you file one tax return that includes ALL of your income from various sources. That's why tax return forms say Form(s) W-2, in case you have more than one.

No, you must wait for the other one.

That would be a great way to get audited.

NO!