Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

how to make my graph? help!?!?

My topic is how fast nails rust in two different liquids; water and vinegar. I wanted to find out which liquid is better for the nails and if the nails rust differently in different liquids. I also wanted to find out if coating the nails with different substances helps prevent rust. My hypothesis stated that the nails would rust the same in both liquids and that both liquids would keep the nails preserved. It also states that coating the nails is better for them.

how in the world can you put that data into some kind of graph? I HAVE TO for my science fair projecbut im stuck! help?

Favorite Answer

Eriq is right - you have to decide how you're going to measure the amount of rust. The difference between the unrusted weight of the nail and the rusted weight might do it, but you have to take into account the different densities of the liquids in which you're immersing them. You might also scrape off the rust, dry it and weigh it, but then you'd have to have several different nails and assume that they all rust the same way in the same liquid. That's probably not a bad assumption. You'd also have to have some way to decide that you'd gotten all of the rust off of a particular nail.

Obviously, if you're going with a time-based graph (which, given your question, seems the reasonable approach), you'll have to take data at several different times. Once a day seems reasonable, over several days, but it depends on how fast the nails rust. If they rust very fast, you might have to go to two or three times a day. If they rust slowly, once every couple of days might work better.

Your best bet is plan your experiment out completely before you start, and run all of your tests concurrently - i.e. have all of your nails, coated and uncoated, rusting away together (in separate containers) at the same time. This includes knowing exactly what data you're going to collect and how you're going to get it. I hope you've left enough time to do that.

Good luck.

ok so it extremely is how I see it... A bar graph is great used once you're making some comparisons with specific numerical values. although, a bar graph turns right into slightly bulky in case you have too many values or are making too many comparisons. Ex. Max top of a peach tree vs Max top of Apple tree, and so on. A line graph is great used while evaluating fairly some information factors. Line graphs are marvelous in exhibiting modifications by the years. Ex. modifications in top of a peach tree from 2000 to 2009 A pie graph ( circle graph) is the least puzzling in that each and every slice represents only slightly the excellent. So in the experience that your messing with a share than Pie Graph is great. Ex. A component of a finished volume of peaches given to multiple persons. wish this helps slightly. You get the feel for it the greater you artwork with the a number of graphs.

I would do a line graph where one line is for the water and one is for the vinegar the one with the coating in water and one in the coating for vinegar. The x axis would be the time line for how long they were exposed, the y axis would be for the amount of rust whether you did it in weight, milimeters, etc. Don't forget to colour your lines different colours with a legend to show what each one is.

Good luck!

• eriq p

um use excel to graph your data. since your topic is about how fast each nail rusts, a time data table would probably be good. thing is, how do you measure amount of rust. difference in weight of the nail per time... i dunno. =P