can I keep my car insurance in my previous state?

Hi thanks at first for reading this question , Now I am living in new york and I am from Ohio , i have tow cars both with ohio numbers, and both of my cars are owned by my mom dad but I and my wife drive them here in new york please give a legal advise how long we can drive these cars we are insured driver on both cars

please help

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If the legal owner of the vehicle (in this case your parents) live in Ohio, then you can keep the vehicle registration in Ohio. You are borrowing the vehicle, so you do not need to change the registration!

    Make sure you have the registration card and proof of insurance in case you are pulled over!

    Source(s): 27 years in the auto business
  • Fred C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Unless you are both full-time students, you need to get your own insurance. You have care, custody and control of the vehicles. The cars live with you, and they sleep at your house, which is in a different insurance territory. Your mom and dad can still own the vehicles, but you need to get exclusive-use agreements for them, and then your own insurance, and registration, most likely after 90 days. You have to check with the original insurer, and with New York authorities, because some states only allow 30 days. You also need New York driver licences.

    Source(s): I am a licenced insurance broker, registration and driver licence agent.
  • blb
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    You need to have the cars insured where they are "principally garaged". Since they are in New York you need to have New York insurance.

    What you are trying to do is defraud the insurance company. Driving in New York but paying the much lower Ohio rates.

  • 1 decade ago

    Had the same issue on time, I went to a local agent in the state I was living in and was told that since I now lived in their state I had to have coverage in their state.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.