"All Idealism is falsehood in the face of necessity"-Friedrich Nietzsche?

I'm writing a paper on Idealism quotes and I need some help on exaculy what this quote means.

• doc
    Favorite Answer

dude listen to the words it means that when the chips are down and you have to get something done no matter what then your sense of "oh I would never do that" (idealism) goes right out the window, Okay you would never willingly harm your friend right, say he is trapped under a burning car and you can not get him out. The flames are going to burn the entire car and him with it are you going to help him die a clean death at your hands for the sake of being humane or is the idealism of your thoughts about how you treat other humans going to get in the way only you know what the answer to that is. Watch the great waldo pepper one of theses days with Redford as Pepper and then make up your mind. good luck with never having to do something like that but that is exactly what the quote means

I think what he means is that idealism, or maybe optimism is a better way to put it, is lies that people tell themselves and others because the truth is too hard to handle.

Sometimes we need to convince ourselves that something that can never be achieved is possible, just to believe that there is a better situation than the current one.

People will give up their ideas for what they need to survive.

Good Luck!!!

• Omni D

It's stupid to deal with how things should be, you have to deal with how things are.