Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Alternative Bands?

I'm a teenager and listen to a lot of alternative music like Pearl Jam, Sponge, Nirvana, Husker Du, the Pixies, Radiohead, Fugazi, Soundgarden, etc. I've listened to them so much, I need some new alternative bands. Can anyone recommend any? NO POP-PUNK!!

I do listen to some indie, some are great, others are terrible.

Favorite Answer

many indie (independent label) are inspired by the bands you listed above, start researching indie bands in your area and catch some live shows!

also pick a music genre to see what they're playing on sirius, you'll see the bands you listed on certain stations so see what else they're playing with them! http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagena...

Well, you might look at some of the bands that were recording at the same time as Pearl Jam and Nirvana - notably The Screaming Trees. You might also like Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, and Redd Kross.

If you want to go back into the 80's, to some of the bands that sound a bit like these bands, you might want to take a look at Concrete Blonde, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Husker Du and The Replacements.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Bush

Rage Against The Machine

Ben Folds Five

Daft Punk

Mr. Oizo

David Usher

Foo Fighters

Institute

Oliver Pigott

Incubus

The Offspring

The Strokes

• ?

How about:

- Replacements

- Mud Honey

- Veruca Salt

- Belly

- Liz Phair

- Material Issue

- Ministry

• GMoney

besides thouse you've already mentioned, go back to your roots

Joy Division/New Order, Gang of Four, Buzzcocks, Psychedelic Furs, the Cure, the Smiths Echo and the Bunnymen and Bahaus/Love and Rockets for starters.

old (I.R.S. days) R.E.M., Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Television, X, Talking Heads, Social Distortion, and the Replacements for the U.S. point of view

Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth - because it's all about guitars.

English Beat and the Specials for what ska should sound like.

XTC and old Elivs Costello.

Happy Mondays and Stone Roses.

Source(s): There was a lot of good music in the 80's, but chances are you didn't hear any of it.

pretty much any of the old Green Day, but their new stuff is sh it.

Also NOFX is good, pretty political, but if you're into that stuff they're awesome. If you like the Pixies you'll probably like the Hives and the Flaming Lips. the Red Hot Chili Peppers and A perfect Circle are also pretty good. You might like Q and not U.

Hope that helps

Nirvana is a classic but do u like nickelback i no i luv them and some of there songs r alternative ill get back 2 u my brother nos alot but hes not home right now so ill ask him

my chemical romance is going a little pop, but they're album three cheers 4 sweet revenge is very punk. if u liked the clash, u'll like green day. they were inspired by the clash. every1 says they're pop-punk, but not really any more. they're huge among the punks in england. panic! at the disco and fall out boy r good punk bands 2.

Murder city devils, Social distortion,Fu Manchu, kyuss,Jane's addiction

well i really like minus the bear(menos el oso) and block party,dinosaur jr. , she wants revenge,rhcp , hot hot heat,bjork,alice in chains,