Can I pass calculus if I'm bad at math?

I want to major in computer science, which requires 2 calculus courses, but I have a learning disability in math and have always failed or barely passed in elementary-high school. Does it make a difference if I really want to learn it now, as opposed to hating it back then?

Best Answer

You are older now and probably much more focused.. If you take all the required math classes and start out slow I think you will be able to do it. You may need to work a little harder and study a little more but you should be ok.

Having a learning disabillity does not mean you cannot learn just that you learn a little slower. Don't let that hold you back.

Good luck!!!! Wishing you success.

First semester calc, basically derivatives, isn't too bad in terms of its mechanics. The theory behind the work, tho, is pretty tough.

The second semester, integration, is far tougher. There is no real way to simply ignore the theory, and your trig knowledge will be put to a severe test.

Why major in comp sci? I've got a liberal arts degree (econ), and I've been in IT for 11 years now. You can make a very good living as, say, a Cisco tech, or a network engineer, etc. Even better, most IT work now is in project management and security / compliance.

Unless you want to be the one designing the next generation of processor chips, or heading up the project that develops the next hot programming language, that is.....

Yes, it makes a difference that you want to learn it now-- if you have the drive to do something, of course you can do it. It may be harder for you than others but with a good teacher, a tutor if needed, and lots of work-- it's definately do-able. And if you fail a class, you can retake it. My husband took cal II twice in order to pass and get through an engineering degree.

Yes, wanting to learn is 90% of the answer. You should be able to get special tutoring if you need it -- but you got to ask.

Probably, you weren't really bad at math -- it just was not explained to you the right way. A very few people really are bad at math, but most people who say they are bad, really just want somebody to say, "oh poor you, I'm so sorry". They like hearing this so much, that they don't study math. Especially high school girls who don't want to look smart.

• Kyle M

good luck, but calculus covers many more abstract concepts than previous classes, and on a college level is much more fast paced.

albert einstien failed arithmatic becuase he had a specific learning disability which is common among people of that level of genious, which makes them have a hard time doing things like adding and subtracting, but they can do extremely complex operations very easily.

That's what I am asking myself now. I took Calculus I in my second year and I had to quit because I was failing, but it was mainly because of the professor. He is not very fair with the students, and likes to make them fail. Now I am taking a Calculus class applied on biological science, and is the saaaaaaaame thing.......

You just have to kill yourself studying. Right now I am breaking my head trying to solve some exercises and I took this already. The only thing I can do is get some tutoring at college. You have to find your ways to survive.

Try to pass the class with a C, and look for the good proffesors. Ask your classmates who are the nicest proffesors that give calculus at your campus.

I doubt it. I scored on my math only 20 below my English on my SAT and I don't entirely understand Calculus. I want to learn computer science and I have always struggled with it (and I've tried very hard, but it's not in me). Thus, I'm now an unemployed English major.

But I know my stuff!

• Ben B

Calculus makes alot more sense than other forms of math. If you have any sort of a physics background it will be even easier.

Give it a try, but I know a lot of people in computer science and they are all extremely strong in math, and more importantly, they like math.

• Lori

Organize a study group with other members of the class.