What is wrong with my heart? I have palpatations and have had 2 abormal EKGs but normal echocardiogram...?

I'm 21 years old, and am in what I consider good health. I have smoked though for about 2 years, but I dont think that is what is causing my problem... I started having palpitations when I was 16. I had an EKG which showed an abnormal reading, so I had an echocardiogram, which was normal. My doctor tried assuring me that if anything were wrong with my heart, they would have found it, and that the cause of my palpatations was benign. Last spring, I had surgery for my ankle and they did a EKG b/c of my history, and again it was abnormal. Now 21, I still have palpitations like I did when I was younger. My heart probably beats irreguarly 1-100 times a day (stress makes it worse) and has had me concerned now for 5 years. What do you think this means? I feel if I go back to the doctor, a second echo will be done and will be fine, and they will tell me nothing. Is this just a benign thing that I may have for the rest of my life, or is this potentially something thats going to kill me one day?

Favorite Answer

You don't mention the nature of the abnormality on your EKG.

In truth it sounds like you are stressing about a minor matter. Nonetheless, it makes sense to have this evaluated by a cardiologist to be certain. He/she will probably have you wear a holter monitor or an event monitor to find out exactly what those rhythms are that are causing your palpitations. The results of that study will drive additional work-up or not. An initial echo is helpful but a second echo would not be the next step unless there was some reason to disbelieve the results from the first.

If the cardiologist tells you it is a benign condition, believe it and try to relax about the whole matter - I've never met a cardiologist who presumes and is casual about potential heart conditions.

Good luck.

Source(s): Physician assistant - cardiology

I had this, and I had an ablation when I was 39. Do not wait this long, it can really interfere with your life and the procedure is OK - it isn't pleasant, but it isn't terrible. Ask your doctor about it - they should have already mentioneed it, but maybe it depends where you live. It is a very common condition, but having to lie down whenever you get it is no joke. Edit: do not let people tell you it is stress related, I got my first attack whenI was 9 years old, and during the most stressful times of my life it was not more common. It is lterally your heart getting another signal to tell it to beat, as your doctor said, it is an extra beat, but it's really uncomfortable, and if I tried to do anything when it was happening I would pass out, so I learnt pretty quickly not to do that. Then I had kids to look after and it once went on for 10 HOURS non stop so I knew I had to get it sorted.

The other guy is right, the next step would be a holter monitor that you would wear 24 to 72 hrs to capture what you feel is an abnormal rhythm. See a cardiologist, they will not brush you off.

Get a second opinion. That's your best bet. And sometimes, stress test is not always the best diagnostic tool for certain conditions. Further investigation as to why you are having this intermittent arrythmia is needed. Could be stress related or could actually be related to the functioning of your heart.

hormones such as a malfunctioning thyroid can play a signifigant role in how the heart responds. caffiene can also be the cause as well as stress. other diseases that are not directly related to the heart can be a factor too-this is what is termed "bi-directional" diseases of a bigger disease. when one organ is not functioning properly, it can cause a chain reaction in how the other organs work.

good luck.

Source(s): RISS-Hepatitis C Obejctives

Have the doctor do a stress test, if he won't, go to a different doctor. It could be something simple like anxiety problems, but it could also be something serious. If something is wrong with your heart, the stress test will find it.