Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 1 decade ago

Thermometer readings / child fevers?

i used a vicks pacifer thermometer on my 4 year old daughter (because i could not find the regular thermometer) and it came out 38.7 degrees celcus and i dont know if thats high or normal or what? can someone let me know please because i cant find the information sheet and couldnt find anything online. thanks

Favorite Answer

* Normal temperature – 97 to 99 degrees (36 to 37.2 Celcius).

* Low-grade fever – 99 to 100.9 degrees (37.3 to 38.3 Celcius).

* Common fever – 101 to 103.5 degrees (38.4 to 39.7 Celcius).

* High fever – any fever over 103.6 degrees (39.8 Celcius).

Oral temperature is average, don't add or deduct

axillary (under the armpit) add .5C

rectal minus .5C.

I don't know if the pacifier ones would be measured like an axillary temp. so your daughter's reading would be between 38.7 and 39.2. First, I would suggest using a regular thermometer under the armpit for 3 mins. unless your daughter doesn't mind holding it under her tongue (which is probably a little more accurate).

I agree with another answer about fever not being a bad thing all of the time. If the fever doesn't go down with acetaminophen, I would bring her in. I also agree with the temperament of your child being your guide more than the fever itself. If your child is playing normally and not lethargic or complaining of pain (especially in the neck) I would wait it out. A lot of the time we take trips to emergency when there is really nothing that can be done. But if you are extremely worried that something is wrong, you are your best judge of the situation and it doesn't hurt to be overcautious. Better safe than sorry I always say. Here is a website for Dr. Sears. He has a lot of helpful information re: fever and what to do....

i used an online converter and it said 38.7 C is 101.6 F...so if that is accurate, it sounds like a high fever. The best thing to do is not get too alarmed, and call your child's doctor to see what they reccomend doing. Here is a link to the concersion page for temperature http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Even if your child does have a fever, it's likely that it's not serious. Although it can be frightening when your child's temperature rises, fever itself causes no harm and can actually be a good thing - it's often the body's way of fighting off infections. And not all fevers need to be treated. High fever, however, can make your child uncomfortable and can aggravate problems such as dehydration.

Children whose temperatures are lower than 102 degrees Fahrenheit (38.9 degrees Celsius) usually don't require medication, unless they're uncomfortable. There's one important exception to this rule: If you have an infant 3 months or younger with a rectal temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) or higher, call your baby's doctor or go to the emergency department. Even a slight fever can be a sign of a potentially serious infection in very young infants

Oh and there is nothing wrong with taking a rectal temperature. Here are the steps to do so:

1.Lubricate the tip of the thermometer with a water-soluble lubricating jelly (talk with your pharmacist or child's doctor).

2. Place your child face down across your lap while supporting the head, or lay the child down on a firm, flat surface, such as a changing table.

3. Place one hand firmly on your child's lower back to hold him or her still.

4. With your other hand, insert the lubricated thermometer through the anal opening, about half an inch to 1 inch (about 1.25 to 2.5 centimeters) into the rectum. Stop if you feel any resistance.

5. Steady the thermometer between your second and third fingers as you cup your hand against your baby's bottom. Soothe your child and speak quietly as you hold the thermometer in place.

6. Wait until you hear the appropriate number of beeps or other signal that the temperature is ready to be read. If you'd like to keep a record, write down the temperature, noting the time of day.

Rectal is the most accurate way to take a child's temperature if they are under 4 years. After that, you can use an oral digital thermometer unless your child is frequently coughing or has a stuffy nose and must breathe through their mouth. In these cases, you can use a digital thermometer under the arm(axillary), or a special one that gets their temperature from their forehead (tympanic, which is what my child's doctor uses).

If your child is feeling uncomfortable because of the fever, you can use children's tylenol. Just make sure you give the correct dose. But remember to never give a child under 12 aspirin, and you may want to check with the doctor before you give them Ibuprofen. I hope this all helped!

Just be very careful with this kind of high-tech thermometer. They can be so inaccurate to be fatal. You will need a normal thermometer to measure your high-tech one to see how accurate it is, then take note of the difference (up or down). Later you can use your high-tech thermometer but remember to adjust the reading appropriately. If the inaccuracy is over 1 celcius, you must return the product and ask for a new one.

In celcius the normal reading is between 36.6 to 37C. The danger level is 39C and higher. Over 38C you must get some treatment. Some times the temperature is just a quick spike such as when the child is wearing too warm clothes or right after having a physical exercise, running, riding, ... If the child is happy and bright, there is no cause for worry.

im not sure the exact reading i think it is like 100 or 101 the only way to get the best readin is if you take her temp rectally

thats the most accurate way to find out if your child has a fever

and a regular one should work. just insert it in until it beeps

This is high, normal range for C is 36.5-37.1 axillary (under arm)

I know you can only find pacifer thermometer, but just so you know, these are inaccurate. And please whatever you don't take a rectal temp ever! I work in the hospital and we don't take rectal temps. 37.1 equals 98.8.... so my suggestion is to call your pediatition... or you can try motrin and take her temp again in an hour.

38.7 Celsius To Fahrenheit

37 is 98.6 degrees f her fever is about 101 definitely needs motrin

• ?

DEAR BUY ONE TO USE UNDER HER ARM. BUY FOR THE EAR. ARE BUY ONE FOR HER BOTTOM THIS IS ALL I CAN TELL YOU OK IF HER BOTTOM BUY ONE THAT IS FLEX-ABLE OK TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK

101.5