post partum depression?

how long does it last? is there anything besides meds. that can help?

Favorite Answer

It is estimated that about 80% of all new mommies get the 'baby blues' which is quite normal seeing as your entire life has changed and you can no longer sleep, eat or shower when you want to any more (not to mention visit the bathroom!) and everyone goes through a bit of an adjustment period ....If though, at about 4 -6 weeks postpartum you are still feeling overwhelmed, depressed, or are having obsessive thoughts, (PPD is a WIDE spectrum of symptoms) it is time to get some help...for lots of women, talking to other new moms, getting into a routine, or talking to a therapist will help....for others, meds may be needed. We have a great PP resource ctr. in NY...i'll see what other links i can find....

Source(s): www.postpartumny.org www.postpartum.net www.postpartum.net/in-depth.html

I realized I had it when it was over when the baby was about ten months. I don't think anything would help other than meds or having lots of help. Talk to your doctor.

i think it will last as long as you think you have depression, if you keep thinking positively and get involved in other activities...it wont last for too long. its the way you think thats causing you to be depressed. when i had my baby i refused to think negatively. if you have family around, let them take care of your little one for a few hrs while you have time out for yourself..do things that you enjoyed..and be grateful for what you have..there are people in this world who would do anything to have a baby. you are lucky! again, think positvie!! :)

getting some you time mine lasted about 2 weeks with my son and about 1 week with my daughter but i found that doing something for yourself everyday or a couple days a week and getting away from the little bundle of joy as much as you love them ....can really help you feel overwhelmed that your totally responsible for this little baby but take some time for you it will help good luck

Try to get out of the house, go for walks or go to stores even if you dont have money just go look and get yourself out! Getting fresh air/being outside can help a lot......

Lots of sleep and help around the house.