Depression during pregnancy?

I am pregnent with my 3rd child (26 wks) and very depressed. This shocks me b/c I loved being pregnant the first two times. I have no drive and absolutly no maternal instincts, its like there gone. Why is this happening now?

Favorite Answer

I was happy with my first pregnancy and still depressed with this one, I think it's because well the hormones and also more stress with having other children to care for!

It's possibly a result of hormones shifting, or there is possibly something going on in your life that is bothering you more than you realize. Do you have a good support system right now? Is there something that you feel you are missing? Have you lost a previous pregnancy?

You should discuss this depression at your next prenatal appointment with your doctor. Since you are experiencing prenatal depression, you are at an elevated risk for post-partum depression, and that is something you want to head off at the pass if possible. Discuss the possibility of therapy, alternative medicines like accupuncture, and even anti-depressants. Some anti-depressants are given in smaller doses to expectant mothers because the benefits outweigh the risks.

Just remember that you are not alone. If you are interested in talking to other women who are battling depression during pregnancy, there are lots of support groups online, like at babycenter.com. But these support board shouldn't replace getting professional treatment from your doctor and possibly a therapist.

Good luck. I know it's easier said than done, but you will get through this and feel better.

Everyone's told me that every pregnancy is different. Whatever it is that's bothering you, you should talk about it to someone you can trust maybe even a professional if you feel like you should. I am pregnant (36 weeks) with my first and have had more than too many depressing moods throughout this pregnancy. But given my situation before I even got pregnant, the depression was almost inevitable. My dr. and nurse practitioner always offers counseling programs and what not, which I haven't taken up yet. But probably will after I give birth. What's helped me, also, was writing a diary or journal TO my baby. I just recently started it, though. But I been writing to her and my plan is to give it to her maybe on her 16th birthday or something like that. It helps a lot because I also write poems and songs. Also I'm a lot better at expressing myself privately and writing things down rather than coversing with someone esp if I don't really know them. But try to find something that you're in tune with and find a way to correlate or connect it with your baby. I wish you the best and lots of love, peace, and happines with the rest of your pregnancy and life with your new one!

Source(s): person experience
  • tara t

i would seek the help of your obgyn, hormones constantly shift and maybe yours happened to. Depressed doesn't mean your not maternal or don't like being pregnant. Its just the hormones (mostly serotonin) may be off and need a boost. seek the help now so you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and your new lil baby to come!

also with 2 other children there is more stress, less time, less sleep and that may also be affecting the way you feel! either way definatly get the help you need!

god bless and good luck!

Have your doctor check your thyroid. I was great through my first pregnancy and honestly, even through my second but when my daughter was born I felt like I didn't want to go through it all again of raising a baby. I thought of all the work, time and effort and I felt drained just thinking about it. I gained weight and experienced mild hair loss (falling out, not balding) and just depressed. A year later after still not losing weight and feeling the blues, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. Iwas given a prescription of levothyroxin and I take one pill a day and I feel wonderful. My daughter is now 5 and I feel she was deserving of my love the very first day she came into the world!

• Gig

Hormones are wacked out things... they can make you feel elated one minute and like you hate the world the next. Every pregnancy is different. I know this might not be helping but there really is no explaination for the differences. Have you spoke to your OB about this? Depression during pregnancy and after are very serious things, you should be getting some help with it.

i felt the same way with my third child and i had a great begining to the pregnancy i was sick but never threw up i had problems at the end but from the very begining i was depressed it will pass when you have the child and you r instincts will kick right back in good luck

You sound exhausted! Take a nice warmbath , pamper yourself, and if your not on bed rest, take a lil time each day and go for a walk. It is very easy to become depressed during the winter months (even when your not prego).

The dark, cold , and gloomy weather does not help.

Be good to your self! Your deserve the best, now go and get it!

I don't have an answer to why... I can just say hormones. I have also been suffering with depression with this pregnancy. I am seeing a counselor which is helping. Every pregnancy is different. I hope it all works out!

It sounds like you could have Post Partum Depression, consult your doctor, and he'll most likely give you anti depressants.

Post Partum Depression, is a form of major depression which can affect women and less frequently men after childbirth.