Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

AWOL/Deserter from military?

I will only keep it simple because I'm sure I will get the typical suck it up you should die or get put to death my a firing squad. But here goes anyhow due to a serious gambling problem a friend of mine went AWOL and he is now a deserter... This happenned almost 2 years ago and for you all who says that you can never get a job thats a lie also because he passed a background check a week ago and he now is working with me... He has also recently got pulled over for speeding and the cops gave him a ticket and on he went with his life.. But heres the catch he is AWOL for almost two years.... Hes not a pussy he had a serious gambling problem, he won 30000 dollars thought he could do it forever and was addicted im talking 24/7 7 days a week gambling... He never made it to his unit.. He graduated ait went to airborne and thats where he left... I called red cross while he was in the army to tell them about his illness from gambling but the army did nothing??? What can he do?

Favorite Answer

If he has been gone for 2 years, they have probably already dismissed his paperwork. that is unusual without a lot of red tape. if he gets out in the firs 6 months, he gets a general discharge with the reason of "failure to adapt to Military Lifestyle"