demeter and dionysus?

do you know the difference between the two and what they have in common?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Demeter was goddess of the harvest and Dionysus was god of wine, they both had to do with plants, but Demeter was more in touch with reality than Dionysus (being the god of wine, he drank it himself). Demeter was truly a goddess, but Dionysus was only half god.

• 4 years ago

Demeter And Dionysus

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Demeter is the goddess of spring while Dionysus is the God of Wine and the arts. Unfourtantly I only know their stories and not thier symbols. Check online.

• 1 decade ago

They are two entirely different deities. In short...

--Demeter was the goddess of the grain, agriculture, and the seasons.

--Dionysos was the god of grapes, wine, and theater.

Both were deities associated with providing a better afterlife for those mortals who worshipped them.

The two are often associated with each other because of several things they had in common:

1. Both were gods of the earth & agriculture. This differed from the Greek gods in general, who were a largely "urban" pantheon compared to other European mythologies, such as that of the Celts.

2. Both were considered friendlier to mankind than the Olympian gods in general, and both were considered essential to the continued, happy existance of mortals. Demeter provided solid food and Dionysos provided the wine that helps mortals to "forget their sorrows in restful sleep". These were considered far greater gifts than those bestowed by many of the other gods. Moreover, the two were characterized as altogether different from the other gods in that they were generally very kind to mortals, as opposed to the other gods who desired worship but were frequently quite malicious when mortals got in the way of their selfish desires.

3. Both had mystery cults dedicated to them which offered their initiates a better lot in the afterlife (i.e. life after death). Dionysos was heavily connected with Demeter's Eleusinian Mysteries as Bacchos Iacchos, the divine child. Demeter had a looser connection with Dionysos' mysteries, but one nonetheless--in Orphic theology, Dionysos was the son of Demeter's daughter Persephone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

both r from Greek mythology-Demeter is the goddes of grain & the harvest & Dionysus was the God of wine & vegetation

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well for one thing Demeter was a woman and Dionysius was a man

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I have also asked this same question two times, and didn't get an answer

• 1 decade ago

Same person, different translations of the names.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Never really thought about this

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I was interested to know this as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.