How do I get my 51 year old Brother to help me with our mother's financial needs?

I have paid my mother's rent for the last 2 1/2 years. She is 80 yrs old, and I'm not going to let her suffer. Both of us are perfectly capable of helping out financially. Right now I spend 900.00 monthly and I'm asking him for half.

He is responsible for spending the majority of her savings! I am about to get nasty with him....any suggestions?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You are to be commended. I see this all too often. Unfortunately every family or most I have seen tends to lean on only one sibling for support. Usually the one closest to the parent. Is unfortunate. Have you tried talking to a lawyer regarding the matter? I know since you are paying her bills the law will lean towards your wishes. Ask about guardianship. Good luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes...move mom in with you.... get court ordered control of her finances...get the tax exemption and take care of mom.... your brother is a dead beat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.