How do I get my 51 year old Brother to help me with our mother's financial needs?

I have paid my mother's rent for the last 2 1/2 years. She is 80 yrs old, and I'm not going to let her suffer. Both of us are perfectly capable of helping out financially. Right now I spend 900.00 monthly and I'm asking him for half.

He is responsible for spending the majority of her savings! I am about to get nasty with him....any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

You are to be commended. I see this all too often. Unfortunately every family or most I have seen tends to lean on only one sibling for support. Usually the one closest to the parent. Is unfortunate. Have you tried talking to a lawyer regarding the matter? I know since you are paying her bills the law will lean towards your wishes. Ask about guardianship. Good luck.

Yes...move mom in with you.... get court ordered control of her finances...get the tax exemption and take care of mom.... your brother is a dead beat.