Has anyone graduated within 24 months from an ABA-accredited law school? (the rule changed to 24 months 12/05)

I want to graduate in 24 months. To help my school allow this, I am soliciting any information on students that graduated in 24 months, instead of 2.5 or 3 years.

Here is why I believe all schools could (and possibly must) allow it: The ABA Standards for Approval of Law Schools says, "Almost all Standards and Interpretations are mandatory, stating that a law school 'shall' or 'must' do as described in the Standard or Interpretation."

ABA Standards for Approval of Law Schools, Standard 3.04(c) (implemented in 12/2005) states "A law school shall require that the course of study for the J.D. degree be completed no earlier than 24 months and no later than 84 months after a student has commenced law study at the law school or a law school from which the school has accepted transfer credit."

Interpretation 1: literally, each law school must alIow students to graduate within 24 months.

Interpretation 2: law schools can require a JD degree anywhere between 24 and 84 mo's (logical?)

• Linkin
    Favorite Answer

They could allow it. I see no place where it suggests a law school must allow a student to graduate in 24 months if they want to. It seems clear that it's up to the law school's discretion on how long they want to make their program.

Interpretation 2 is still the literal reading of the statute. It doesn't change that it's up to the law school. They set their own requirements for graduating from their program. You figure out a way to accomplish it in 24 months (summer school or whatever), and I don't see why they wouldn't let you graduate in 24 months.