o
o asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

IS BULL meat eatable ? has anyone ate it ?what does it taste ?

Favorite Answer

Cows

According to Wikipedia:

“Cattle (often called cows in vernacular and contemporary usage, or kye as the Scots plural of cou) are domesticated ungulates, a member of the subfamily Bovinae of the family Bovidae. They are raised as livestock for meat (called beef and veal), dairy products (milk), leather and as draught animals (pulling carts, plows and the like).”

Cows are females and Bulls are males and include many different species of animals. But when say cow, many of us think of a female bovine or cattle animal. The males are called Bulls. Steers are young males that have been castrated and de-horned. This is where most of our beef comes from. What we call Veal usually comes from dairy bull calves. I have looked and looked but cannot find exactly how much beef we get from Bulls. I will still keep looking (because I am also interested in this subject.) I know this for sure. The citizens of the United States consume bull meat. Exactly in what cuts of beef: I’m not sure, but I’d suspect ground beef and even lesser grades of beef.

From the USDA site “How to Buy”:

“The three lower grades -- USDA Utility, Cutter, and Canner -- are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and manufactured meat items such as frankfurters”

I am almost sure this is where Bull meat for U.S. consumption ends up. So next time your eating a processed beef product, like sausages or hot dogs, think bull. I have read that the meat from a bull has superior binding qualities of almost any meat and for this reason is used in sausage making.

And this from “Agriculture and Consumer Protection Department Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.”

“ Meat showing high water binding properties are recommended for emulsion-type sausage manufacture; they are bull, cow and calf meats, beef trimmings, beef chucks, lean pork trimmings and skinned poultry meat.”

And this web site regarding the “Vienna Sausage Manufacturing Co.”

“In 1986 union pressures forced Vienna to stop boning its own meat. The company began purchasing boxed meat, but was dissatisfied with the quality. The following year, Vienna opened an abattoir, the Big Foot Cattle Co., in Harvard, Illinois, where it began slaughtering and hot boning the cattle--particularly bulls, the beef of choice for the Vienna Beef hot dog--for its products. The company's European sales snagged in 1989, however, with a ban by the European Community on hormone-raised animals. This meant Vienna's German licensee, Dieter Hein Co., could no long import the bull meat essential to maintain the taste and consistency of the Vienna Beef hot dog.”

Bull Meat

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL BULL CALVES PROCESSED AND PUT IN THE FREEZER. That meat you raise your self and have processed is the best tasting and tenderest meat you can get. We wean our calves about 6-7 months old and look at their tails if they are real fat where they make the tail bone connection will be the will be as tender as you can get from the milk fat. We raise Beefmaster cattle and a yeaning calf will weigh 600 to 750 lbs at 7 months old. Here is som 6-7 month old heifers and they will weigh that. These are heifers I am saving for cows later. They will be bred at about 15 months old. Bar M Ranch look on craigs list Dallas !!!

Yes, bull meat is edible. As a matter of fact, after a bullfight the meat is often donated to orphanages or shelters. I've never eaten it, but since a bull is a bovine (cow), I'd suspect that the taste would be the same or similar.

• Duke

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): bull meat eatable ate taste: https://shorturl.im/6H21a

...well yeah. That's where most steak and ground beef comes from. Bulls don't give milk, so they're raised for breeding and meat alone. It's no different than a cow. It's just a boy.

Yes, and when you cook it , its best to tenderize it well,

for the meet is tuff and can be hard to chew. cooked right

you will never know it was not a Cow. I have eaten many a

bull even some that I have been out riding in years past

the bull meat from animals trained to fight in Spain is the most expensive and tender

meat you can get, better than Kobe steak and only available after bullfights......around

restaurants nearby a corrida.....but hurry...only limited amount available......

Tastes like beef.