How can I correct a problem with my TV screen?

When I am watching TV, the picture shrinks and becomes a very thin line. Occasionally it will correct its self or the picture will appear only on the top part of the screen. Any suggestions as to a way to fix it?

Favorite Answer

Yes the first guy is right it's in the vertical section, but if it's not permanent maybe it's just the solder crack (so sometimes it connect sometimes it lose) because of heat, you need to re solder this section.

this sounds like a vertical problem. sometimes depending on the age of the set there will be a variable resistor inside which through time and usage gets clogged with grime and a quick turn of this can often cure the problem. if it is a newer set then the poblem will in all likelyhood be in the feild output section or line timebase. this calls for the services of a technician i am afraid.