THERESA B asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

How do you treat a rabbit bite?

My husband recently got biten by our 4 year-old pet rabbit. Do rabbits have rabies? I am very worried, thank you.

Favorite Answer

why would your rabbit have rabies? Was it outside and exposed to rabies? Chances are it will be fine.

Rabbits don't naturally have rabies. Unless they've been exposed to a rabid animal, they don't have the virus. You should be worried that a skunk or raccoon would have rabies, but not a pet rabbit.

Biting is fairly normal for a frightened rabbit. They spook easily. The solution is to never put your hand under the front of their face.

It could develop a nasty infection, especially if it's deep and in an area without a lot of blood flow. Use your judgment and disinfect the area thoroughly. Maybe get him to see a doctor. You won't have to bring the rabbit in for rabies testing.

Rabbit Bite Treatment

Put Peroxide on it, and if it starts looking infected, call a doctor. This is the first time I've heard of a person getting bitten by a rabbit (and I've never heard of a rabbit getting rabies but that doesn't mean it can't happen-assuming a rabbit would survive a rabid animal's attack.)

It depends...has your rabbit ever done something like this before? Is he outside by himself all day couped up in a little hutch? Does he not trust your husband? Your Rabbit should be inside...you would have never had this problem! Wash it out with peroxide and soap! You would never think your rabbit had rabies if he was inside? Right! Your rabbit might be sick or injured. Your husband might have touched him in a bad area.Get your bunny to the vet! Or check him yourself...if you can get near him. You might not see anything if he is sick...so take him/her to the vet. Good Luck! Rabbits will freeze to death in the Winter! Get heat Srtoke in the Summer! Good Luck and remember, Rabbits are just like Cats and Dogs!

Source(s): I have five litter trained house rabbits!

Rabbits hardly ever have rabies. I would reccomend that you clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide and then put something like neosporin on it and bandage.

Your rabbit doesnt like you. also, u dont have rabies. they have shots when they're born. you could tell if ur husband has rabies. he'll drool a lot or foam even.

rabbits are seldom infected treat the bite with antibiotic cream