promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Meaning of months in finnish language?

Im studying finnish language. Does anybody knows the origins of the month names. Tammikuu (Jan), Helmikuu (Feb), Maaliskuu (May), etc.

for example:

tammikuu: month of the oak.

helmikuu: month of the pearl

maaliskuu: originates from maallinen kuu meaning earthy month.

kiitos paljon =)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have studied enough to read yourself, you can check the origins of all the names from wikipedia in Finnish: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuukausi (a separate link to all different months there). But I'll translate briefly some key points:

Tammikuu: It's the first year of the month and in the middle of the winter, and surprisingly, this is where the name comes from. "Tammi", which nowadays means "oak", used to mean "hub" or "axis" in several dialects. So originally the name of this month refers to it's place in the center of the winter, or the whole year if you want to think it that way.

Helmikuu: It's sometimes claimed that this month got is name from the small ice droplets that form over the tips of the branches (especially for birch trees I suppose). Those droplets look somewhat like little icy pearls (helmi = pearl, as you knew already).

Maaliskuu: yeah, you got that one right. Maaliskuu originates probably from "maallinen kuu", "earthy month", because that's the last of the winter months, and earth starts to reveal itself when the snow melts away.

Huhtikuu: this one comes from the word "huhta", which meant area cleared and burnt-over for cultivation (and it was conifer tree forest which was growing there; I don't know if there's a special word for other kind of forests cleared and burnt), because this was the month when this kind of areas were cleared.

Toukokuu: this is simple one, because the word "touot" is still used (single form would be "touko" but it doesn't have too much meaning, except as a name of a person). "Touot" or "toukotyöt" include sowing of seeds and plowing and harrowing of the fields (work done in this month).

Kesäkuu: surprisingly, the name of this month doesn't originate from the word "kesä" (summer). Instead, the name of the month comes from the word "kesanto" ("fallow", or "set-aside (field)"), because this is the month when the fallows were plowed for the first time. A nice article (naturally in Finnish) about the word "kesä" and it's alternative, "suvi" (both meaning "summer", and I think "suvi" was more used when these months were named. The popularity of the "kesä" could probably actually originate from the naming of the month...) can be found from http://www.kotus.fi/julkaisut/ikkunat/1999/kielii1...

Heinäkuu, or "hay month" is the month when hay was (and is... sorry for my inconsistence with temporal forms here) made for the cattle and horses.

Elokuu: this name comes from "elonkorjuu", meaning "harvesting". Again, this is the month when this is done.

Syyskuu is simple and obvious, it comes from word "syys", nowadays more often "syksy", meaning "autumn". This is the first of the autumn months.

Lokakuu: because this month is often rainy (and cold), the weather and road conditions are bad and there's mud everywhere, someone decided to name a whole month as a month of "loka", which means "mud" or "sludge, slurry".

Marraskuu: if the name of the "muddy month" is not enough to make you feel down, then here comes something even better. "Marraskuu" originates from the word "marras", or "olla martaana", which meant "dead" or "to be dead". Usually everything in the ground is dead in this month, thus this cheerful name for a month, literally: "A month of the death". How would you feel if November was called Deathmonth?

Joulukuu: until the 17th century this month was usually called "talvikuu", literally "winter month". Then the name was changed to refer "Joulu", meaning naturally "Christmas", although the Finnish word originally is a Scandinavian word referring to the celebration of the winter solstice.

I hope this appeases your curiosity :)

Source(s): http://fi.wikipedia.org/ , plus I'm a native Finn.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Meaning of months in finnish language?

Im studying finnish language. Does anybody knows the origins of the month names. Tammikuu (Jan), Helmikuu (Feb), Maaliskuu (May), etc.

for example:

tammikuu: month of the oak.

helmikuu: month of the pearl

maaliskuu: originates from maallinen kuu meaning earthy month.

kiitos paljon =)

Source(s): meaning months finnish language: https://shortly.im/Rc3cc
  • Erica
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axrY5

Kuu actually literally means moon.. :) Tammikuu - oak(tree)-moon (tammi used to mean heart or core) Helmikuu - Pearl-moon (ice-crystals on the trees look like little pearls) Maaliskuu - earth?-moon (it's thought that it comes from ground (maa) that is first time seen when the snow melts. Huhtikuu - (comes from the word huhta, which is a trditional slash-and-burn technique for evergreens) Toukokuu - (Touko means the seeding and preparation of the ground for grain) Kesäkuu - Summer-moon Heinäkuu - Hay-moon (the hay for cattle is harvested) Elokuu - Harvest-moon (Gathering the 'elo' aka. Harvesting the grain) Syyskuu - Autumn-moon Lokakuu - Slush-moon (Loka is basically dirty slush caused by the melting first snow) Marraskuu (Marras means basically dead plants caused by the frozen ground) Joulukuu - Christmas-moon There you go! Many of these words are really old and people don't use them anymore.. : )

• 4 years ago

Jano means thirst and Kuut means months or moons. you have to figure it out.....my wife is a Finn

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

h

• 1 decade ago

kesäkuu is summer month..........heinäkuu is wheat/straw month.........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.