Bedrest at 20 weeks?

My blood pressure is high. Doc says if I don't get it down I'll be put on bedrest at 20 weeks. I'm 17 weeks today. She put me on a blood pressure med last week....and increased the dosage today...hopefully this will help, but I'm really scared. I don't know if I can handle the remainder of my pregnancy on bedrest. That's 20 weeks! Has anyone else delt with this?

Favorite Answer

I got put on bedrest at 28 weeks... it is hard, but it helped my blood pressure stay down... do whatever your doctor tells you to do. But, you can cut out slat and drink a lot of water, that should help your blood pressure a little. Good luck!

If you want this baby to stay inside a while longer, you better find a way to deal with bedrest. If your blood pressure is that high now, your chances of carrying to term are very slim. The hope is that if you can keep your BP reasonable with meds and bedrest, you can keep the baby inside until you are past 24 weeks. If things get out of control before then, your baby doesn't have much of a chance to survive.

At 24 weeks, they will most likely give you steroids to help the baby's lungs develop. Then they will take things day to day, with frequent monitoring, and possible hospitalization if your preeclampsia worsens. (High blood pressure from pregnancy is part of preeclampsia.) The danger is that if preeclampsia worsens, you may get very sick, at which point the only cure is delivery.

Try to take things one day at a time, and remember, that now and for the rest of your child's life, you will do absolutely ANYTHING for him/her, even if it means a sacrifice for you. That's what being a mom is all about.

Source(s): I'm a labor and delivery nurse

Ya i had to be put on bedrest at 26 weeks because my cervix was dialted to 2 centimeters they put me on bedrest for the rest pf the pregnancy its not boring if you have someone with you to talk to and maybe a book or something, a television so you can watch t.v things that will keep you busy you know dont worry everything will be fine

I had to go on bed rest at 17 weeks. My water broke and I leaked the whole pregnancy (till 31 weeks when I delivered) I was able to get up once in a while and walk slowly around my house but it was very boring. I am very active, not a TV person, and some days I wanted to scream but I just kept thinking of my daughter and the longer I stayed pregnant the better for her. She is 4 now and looking back it was all worth it.

Yes, I was on bedrest at 26 weeks for six weeks. It was very hard. Have lots of books, get a laptop, i will chat with you everyday to help you get through it if that's what you need. post again if that happens, I'll be watching. It was very hard for me. My husband left me at this time on top of it all and i had a five year old to take care of. Good luck! You'll be in my prayers. Relax and try to get that BP down

Yep but I was on it starting at 14 weeks. How I delt with it I dont know to be honest but the end result was worth it. However mine wasnt due to BP it was because I have an incompent and dynamic cervix. And even with a cerclage in place I had issues {as expected}

• Miki

well looks like u will be on here for the next 20 or so weeks. u should be at level 20 by the time that baby comes around. lol. well, i never dealt with it but i think u should keep the phone, tv,computer, radio or ipod and reading material near by.

on condition that she has paid into it she will't get unemployment as she ought to be accessible for artwork - which for sure shes no longer As for incapacity - she would've had to have had a coverage in effect earlier to getting pregnant **Edit: to the poster below - SHE'S SELF employed

I've been told not to take hot baths during pregnancy and don't get stressed out!

yes basically the only thing you can do is try to reduce your stress and avoid conflict at all cost. remember you are carring another person inside of you.

Source(s): my first daughter