Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

I live in a very cold weather climate. Avg. Temp between -10 to 5. Can the gasoline in my car freeze & harden?

Favorite Answer

There should be enough ethanol in the gas to prevent freezing

to feel safe.. add dry gas to the tankful of gas as directed

-10 to 5 where do live Victoria? I'd love to have -10 to 5. T-Shirt weather...sorry I digress...in answer to your question...

Yes and No.

The Gasoline will not freeze but the water molecules will.

Of course they freeze at the weakest point (Murphy's Law everytime) and 'cause you to have a "no turnover" situation:

i.e. Fuel filter, Fuel Injector, Fuel Pump etc.

To remedy: Use Gas Line antifreeze additive periodically on a full tank. This will keep the water molecules from freezing together.

The bigger concern however is your radiator fluid. If that freezes you can possibly crack your engine block...meaning...new motor...make sure you have good "green" anti-freeze in the radiator at the correct mixture (70 fluid / 30 water for winter -40C). If you don't know the last time it was flushed/changed now is the time to do it.

No, gasoline itself freezes at -40 (parts of it anyhow...) But if you have any moisture in your fuel system it would freeze at a much higher temperature. So if you have water in your fuel tank it will freeze at 32(deg f) just like water anyplace. That is why there are additives available like "Dry-Gas" to get water out of your fuel system. It doesn't hurt during cold weather to dump in a bottle of dry-gas every so often when you fill up your tank.

-10 to 5 is not cold at all ,,I myself will put gasline antifreeze in my car when the temp gets down to -20 to -40 now thats cold .

use higher octane fuel when you gas up you won't have any problems at that temp..

Only if you have water in the gas and gas tank. The gas will not freeze or harden unless there is water or water vapor to do so.

No. Diesel is the only fuel that is affected by freezing weather. Diesel can gel unless an anti-gel solution is added

an extremely chilly climate climate isn't what you're in..... i'm in -20 to -forty degree climate and gas won't even freeze at that temp!! you are able to attempt to address this climate in case you think of thats chilly!!!!!

not at that temp

Maybe in the fuel line, esp if any excess moisture. \put an additive in it