Do I need a passport to come back in the US if I am an American citizen?
Im a little confused on when it will be necesary to have a passport to com back in the US by land.
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
The answer to your question is not yet, but you will. Begining on January 23, 2007 if you enter the USA by AIR you need a passport. By LAND and SEA you will need a passport begining January 1, 2008. MY advice, do not wait to get a passport. It is good id for 10 years. See below:
* Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
* As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- 5 years ago
Do I need a passport if I am a Citizen of USA coming back from Mexico
- 4 years ago
Wow, what volume circumstances are you going to ask this? you want a passport - notwithstanding in the adventure that they are though allowing some persons in w/ in person-friendly words a state identity and a approved replica of your starting up certificate. i have were given heard that those w/ in person-friendly words a state identity and starting up cert are problem to larger scrutiny than those w/ a properly-widely used passport. effective, US voters might want to wish to coach that they are US voters - we end using the appreciate gadget some years contained in the previous. on the on the spot: U.S. voters might want to wish to present day both (a) a passport, passport card (accessible in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant record; or (b) a authorities-issued photo identity, which includes a utilizing stress’s license, alongside with tips of citizenship, which includes a starting up certificate. LATER: As early as June a million, 2009, the U.S. authorities will implement the finished criteria of the land and sea area of WHTI. The proposed regulations require maximum U.S. voters entering into u.s. at sea or land ports of get correct of entry to to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant record.
- blt_4Lv 51 decade ago
By land, expected January 2008. By air, now.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- FeinschmeckerLv 61 decade ago
A passport is your proof that you ARE an American citizen. Without it, you can be told that you don't have acceptable proof you're an American citizen.
- JasperLv 41 decade ago
It wouldnt hurt to take it with you just dont loose it.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
by land if u hop ten border nooo but by air....... duuuuhhhhhh....and land