EMC623 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How often should you breed a purebreed?

Is it true that you can only breed a female 4 times before she is considered unbreedable?

Favorite Answer

I do not breed before the bit ch is two, and not after they are 5. And only one litter per year. So, in theory, that would be 4 potential litters in a lifetime for the bit ch. That does not mean they HAVE to be bred each year though.

4 times

Breeding is the same for purebreds as it is mixes..a dog, any dog, should not begin breeding earlier then 2 years old and should be retired from breeding at 6-7 years old. They also should never be bred more then once per year.

***** people do NOT/ can NOT become members of AKC, "breed Club" or otherwise!!!!! They are a registering body only.*******

Source(s): veterianry tech for 34 years, extensive study & experience in canine reproduction and breeding

every other time it is in heat, if you breed any dog more often than that you could have serious health issues for mom and pups. It would be like if a woman got pregnant every time she had a baby. And don't breed past the age of 5 years, it would be like a woman nearly 50 years old having a baby.

• Nora G

i've never heard of such a thing, but breeding too often wears out any animal including us. So think about it, if u were to have a baby every nine months how would u feel, believe me a dog is no different.

• Chetco

As I really love and care about my females, and want only the best for them, I limit each to 3 litters or less..And never closer than about 18 months apart..(two heats skipped between breeding)

That is also a requirement that one must agree to, to become an AKC breed club member. (for my breed)

Source(s): dog breeder since 1968

I haven't heard that before but in my personal opinion, that would be the max amount of times I would breed her.

if you dog is reg breed you can become a member of the breed club through AKC. if you want to. you should only breed her if her quility is good enough and has no major faults.

I only breed twice.