Baking potatoes in aluminum foil: shiny side facing in or out?

Thanks for everyone's comments. I wound up wrapping them shiny side in, actually! They turned out great.

Favorite Answer

It makes absolutely no difference. The sides look different as a result of the manufacturing process.

shiny side out. The shiny side has chemicals to make it shiny. It won't kill you if you use the shiny side in, but it can't be good for you in the long run if done often and over a period of time.

I don't like baking them in the foil. As moisture escapes from the potato, it has nowhere to go, so it sticks to the potato and makes the skin kind of mushy.

Poke them full of holes, brush them in oil, roll them in salt and pepper if you like, and bake either on a cookie sheet or directly on the oven rack (with a cookie sheet on a lower rack to collect drippings) for an hour at 350 degrees.

That's the way to go.

I normally have the shiny side out, but I've done both and got the same results..

shiny outside. rub your potato with some cooking oil then wrap with foil....

doesn't really matter. Also, make sure to poke them with fork.

doesn't matter, shiney side out looks cuter though :)