If I extract an ISO to a hard drive partition, will it run ok?

I haven't got any blank discs. Any idea's if that'll work? If it won't, is there anything else I can do? I know there's software that creates a virtual drive or something but I'd rather explore alternatives to installing software at the moment...

• piquet
    Favorite Answer

you should use daemon tools to mount the *.iso image as a virtual cd/dvd drive - in fact if it's a game you will probably have no other option than using daemon tools or burning it to cd.

daemon tools is free, from this website:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php

Definitely go with daemon tools. The install file for it is only 6MB as I recall so it won't take any time to download. It barely consumes any system resources when you have it running and it's just so damn convenient. If you're using Truecrypt for an encrypted partition it's a tiny bit annoying once you first install it. Now when I mount my encrypted partition it shows up as drive J rather than drive I but it's still good.

use DOS and get a book on it, it tells you how to create a virtual drive. In windows xp it will tell you in help as dos is included with windows. Take care Heather