where does the moon circle around the earth?

• Bob G
    Favorite Answer

The angle varies from 18 degrees relative to the equator to 28 degrees relative to the equator.

You would expect the Moon to orbit around the equator, but the Sun has affected the Moon's orbit over a few billion years. Instead of orbiting around the equator, the Sun has pulled orbit to within 5 degree's of the ecliptic plane (the Earth's orbital plane around the Sun). The Earth's axis is tilted about 23 degrees relative to the ecliptic plane.

The reason that the angle varies between 18 and 28 is the Earth/Moon orbit the Sun. Sometimes the 'high side' of the Moon's orbit is on the sunward side and sometimes the 'low side' of the Moon's orbit is on the sunward side.

Edit: hmmm. After reading David's answer, I think I agree with Jim. I honestly don't know exactly what you're asking. But, at least you'll get a wide variety of correct answers.

The Moon orbits at around 384 400 km away from the center of Earth.

Check out this picture:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0...

Hope it helps.

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • jim m

In space around the Earth. Maybe the question is confusing?

• goring

Basically the moon circles the Sun in 13.4 cycloid cycles per year.