my father in law lives with me he is on disability but could i claim him as a dependent?

• JQT
    Favorite Answer

There are a few more condition that you have to satisfy:

1. If he has less than $3300 gross income. Gross income doesn't include social security.

2. He is not filing joint return with his spouse.

3. No one else is going to claim him.

If he satisfied these tests, then you can claim him as a dependent. If you are not married, you can file as head of household.

Best wishes.

If he lives with you and you provide more than 50% support, then you can claim him as a dependent.

You can claim him as a dependent. It was easy and quick with www.expresstaxrefund.com. I just went in and listed all of the information I had and within minutes I had my return submitted.

When it comes time to put him on the return, is you are married to his daugher/son, the relationship is "PARENT". Father in law is not a relationship for IRS. BTW, if you divorce your spouse, and you still want to claim a father-in-law, the IRS says that the "in-law" remains your "parent" forever.

"Once an in-law, always an in-law"!

Your father in law is your dependent if he meets all five of the dependency tests ...

If he meets all five dependency tests but he files his own tax return anyway, you can still take an exemption for your father in law, but he can't claim his own personal exemption on her return.

Even if he doesn't quite qualify as your dependent, you might be able to deduct his medical expenses that you pay for.

i found five of the dependency tests on this link

http://www.expresstaxrefund.com/faq/005/dependency...

If you provide more than half of his support you can claim him as a dependent.

Yes U can been there done it & it's worth it as well