my father in law lives with me he is on disability but could i claim him as a dependent?

7 Answers

  • JQT
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    There are a few more condition that you have to satisfy:

    1. If he has less than $3300 gross income. Gross income doesn't include social security.

    2. He is not filing joint return with his spouse.

    3. No one else is going to claim him.

    If he satisfied these tests, then you can claim him as a dependent. If you are not married, you can file as head of household.

    Best wishes.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If he lives with you and you provide more than 50% support, then you can claim him as a dependent.

  • 1 decade ago

    You can claim him as a dependent. It was easy and quick with I just went in and listed all of the information I had and within minutes I had my return submitted.

  • 1 decade ago

    When it comes time to put him on the return, is you are married to his daugher/son, the relationship is "PARENT". Father in law is not a relationship for IRS. BTW, if you divorce your spouse, and you still want to claim a father-in-law, the IRS says that the "in-law" remains your "parent" forever.

    "Once an in-law, always an in-law"!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Your father in law is your dependent if he meets all five of the dependency tests ...

    If he meets all five dependency tests but he files his own tax return anyway, you can still take an exemption for your father in law, but he can't claim his own personal exemption on her return.

    Even if he doesn't quite qualify as your dependent, you might be able to deduct his medical expenses that you pay for.

    i found five of the dependency tests on this link

  • 1 decade ago

    If you provide more than half of his support you can claim him as a dependent.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes U can been there done it & it's worth it as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.