Question about Soda Pop for Science Fair Project?

Hey guys! My best friend and I are doing our Science Fair project on Soda Pop, and the effect that temperature has on it. I'm getting ready to write a background paper (to hand in tomorrow), and I need to know a few things. (I've been sick, and this is just the beginning of our project, so I haven't researched AT ALL yet!)

1. What happens to Soda Pop when it is heated? (Placed on the stove, and heated in a pan)...what happens to the "bubbles?"

2. What happens to Soda Pop when it is at Room Temperature? Think about the bubbles...

3. What about when it is put on ice? It will NOT be frozen, but it will be COLD.

Thanks a bunch!

I would also really appreciate serious, helpful answers. Stop wasting your time for two little points, you're not helping anyone by saying "Mmmm, bubbles", or telling me to get to work! I ASKED you a QUESTION. Thank you!!!

Thank you, Cinnamon! Very much!

They really need to make a rule about answering questions...it gets old, the stupid people that "just want two points"...guess what? Maybe you've never thought of this, but for all of you out there that just want two points, how about trying to ANSWER the question? If it's good, then you could get TEN! *Gasp*

Favorite Answer

Never seen heated soda, nor have I tried that so I don't know what happens there.

As long as the soda has not been opened at all, it will still have the same amount of bubbles (carbonation) whether it is room temperature or cold.

However, for some bizarre reason, cans seem to retain the carbonation, while with bottles (regardless of size) the carbonation escapes the minute it is opened. Again, this doesn't matter if the soda is room temp or cold.

• Susan

A simple way for science projects to do experiments like this is to use balloons. Just put the balloon over the mouth of the bottle and watch it expand. You can then measure the volume of the balloon. Another way is to get some tubing and run it from the bottle top to an inverted graduated cylinder filled with water. The CO2 will displace the water. She could also simply measure the mass of the liquid very carefully before and after the CO2 has been allowed to leave, but you'd need a fairly sensitve scale, probably more sensitive than you have lying around the house.

sounds like you need to get to work!

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bubbles

hehe, i am one of those people that want the 2 points....... so 2 points please