Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Why is the confederate flag not allowed?

If you look at an american dollar bill it has 13 stars on it, an eagle holding a olive branch with 13 leaves,and in its other tallons its holding 13 arrows, designed by Free Masons and our founding fathers, representing the first 13 states(colonies).It isnt all about hate and slavery.So should we burn all our money because it offends people? Read your history before you abolish what are country was built on.Get that dollar bill out and take a look.

Im a proud decendant of Robert E Lee, he was a union general (north) until he found out he had to fight against his home state of Virginia and he graduated from west point.

Best Answer

I think you are confused where is the Confederate flag not allowed? Many people because of their ignorance of the subject do not care for it but no where is it banned. You make other error in your statement Lee was never a yankee general and what does the image on our money have to do with anything? I can see from the way you say that you are unaware of what is the Confederate Flag. Please look here http://www.confederateflags.org/national/FOTCs_b.h...

that is the Confederate Flag. For an interesting lesson take a look at http://www.confederateflags.org/army/FOTCaotm.htm

and http://www.confederateflags.org/army/FOTCtmd.htm. There are countless Confederate Battle flags, Hardees for example a circle, the Palmetto Tree, and then your flag http://www.civilwarhome.com/battleflag.htm.

I Am Their Flag

In 1861, when they perceived their rights to be threatened, when those who would alter the nature of the government of their fathers were placed in charge, when threatened with change they could not accept, the mighty men of valor began to gather. A band of brothers, native to the Southern soil, they pledged themselves to a cause: the cause of defending family, fireside, and faith. Between the desolation of war and their homes they interposed their bodies and they chose me for their symbol.

I Am Their Flag.

Their mothers, wives, and sweethearts took scissors and thimbles, needles and thread, and from silk or cotton or calico - whatever was the best they had - even from the fabric of their wedding dresses, they cut my pieces and stitched my seams.

I Am Their Flag.

On courthouse lawns, in picnic groves, at train stations across the South the men mustered and the women placed me in their hands. "Fight hard, win if possible, come back if you can; but, above all, maintain your honor. Here is your symbol," they said.

I Am Their Flag.

They flocked to the training grounds and the drill fields. They felt the wrenching sadness of leaving home. They endured sickness, loneliness, boredom, bad food, and poor quarters. They looked to me for inspiration.

I Am Their Flag.

I was at Sumter when they began in jubilation. I was at Big Bethel when the infantry fired its first volley. I smelled the gun smoke along Bull Run in Virginia and at Belmont along the Mississippi. I was in the debacle at Fort Donelson; I led Jackson up the Valley. For Seven Days I flapped in the turgid air of the James River bottoms as McClellan ran from before Richmond. Sidney Johnston died for me at Shiloh as would thousands of others whose graves are marked "Sine Nomine," - without a name - unknown.

I Am Their Flag.

With ammunition gone they defended me along the railroad bed at Manassas by throwing rocks. I saw the fields run red with blood at Sharpsburg. Brave men carried me across Doctor's Creek at Perryville. I saw the blue bodies cover Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg and the Gray ones fall like leaves in the Round Forest at Stones River.

I Am Their Flag.

I was a shroud for the body of Stonewall after Chancellorsville. Men ate rats and mule meat to keep me flying over Vicksburg. I tramped across the wheat field with Kemper and Armistead and Garnett at Gettysburg. I know the thrill of victory, the misery of defeat, the bloody cost of both.

I Am Their Flag.

When Longstreet broke the line at Chickamauga, I was in the lead. I was the last off Lookout Mountain. Men died to rescue me at Missionary Ridge. I was singed by the wildfire that burned to death the wounded in the Wilderness. I was shot to tatters in the Bloody Angle at Spotsylvania. I was in it all from Dalton to Peachtree Creek, and no worse place did I ever see than Kennesaw and New Hope Church. They planted me over the trenches at Petersburg and there I stayed for many long months.

I Am Their Flag.

I was rolled in blood at Franklin; I was stiff with ice at Nashville. Many good men bade me farewell at Sayler's Creek. When the end came at Appomattox, when the last Johnny Reb left Durham Station, many of them carried fragments of my fabric hidden on their bodies.

I Am Their Flag.

In the hard years of so-called "Reconstruction," in the difficulty and despair of years that slowly passed, the veterans, their wives and sons and daughters, they loved me. They kept alive the tales of valor and the legends of bravery. They passed them on to the grandchildren and they to their children, and so they were passed to you.

I Am Their Flag.

I have shrouded the bodies of heroes, I have been laved with the blood of martyrs, I am enshrined in the hearts of millions, living and dead. Salute me with affection and reverence. Keep undying devotion in your hearts. I am history. I am heritage, not hate. I am the inspiration of valor from the past. Look Away, Dixie Land!

I Am Their Flag

God Bless You, General Lee along with Our Southern People.

Don't know the details of what's on the confederate flag, (number of stars, etc.) or about its "not being allowed." I do remember a controversy about it not being flown at a state capitol (seat of government, implying neutrality, nondiscrimination, etc.) A lot of symbols out there have had their original meaning changed over the years for political or other reasons. As an example, the swastika (now symbol of hate) is a perversion of an ancient cross image (symbol of love.) At some point you have to take the current overwhelming associations into account and respect the people who feel offended or victimized by them, no matter what the original intent decades (or even centuries) ago might have been.

I say, keep up the analysis of our money; you're right, there is a lot of interesting symbology there. Maybe you will succeed in getting our currency abolished (it's pretty ugly anyway).

It is odd that the flag that flew from 1776 to 1865 when slavery was at its height was the "stars and stripes."

The biographer of Stonewall Jackson Professor James Robertson stated the reason the Confederate battle flag was adopted by post-civil war veteran and other fraternal organizations was to honor the valor and sacrifice of the confederate soldier and not the political cause.

In this country it does not take much to offend someone and one person can destroy the heritage and traditions of the many. I say draw the line in the sand now. If they donn't like it srew'em.

First...if you were a relative of Robert E Lee....you should know that he was never a General in the army of the United States. He was a colonel when he resigned his commision in 1860. Read your history.

Second, the Confederate BATTLE FLAG is different than the several Confederate National flags. From the antebellum period to today, the Confederate Battle Flag was used by anti-black groups to scare blacks into submitting to white rule and terror. In many former confederate states, the battle flag has been removed from state houses and has been replaced with the first or last Confederate National Flag. Remove your battle flags from cars and houses, its ignorant and historically inaccurate.

i didn't actually kno the confederate flag's not allowed, but i would guess that it's b/c it promotes succession and thus a "clear and present danger" to the nation.

i agree w/ you, actually. i kno what lee and his men were fighting for was more about state's rights (which i agree w/) than slavery, so i'm not sure why the south is looked down upon historically. true, they practiced slavery, but i think that's a result of mob-mindedness and the society at that time, not because those ppl were actually "evil" (except maybe those who really really beat their slaves). but anyway.

yeah so personally, i'm w/ you and respect lee and the south for standing up for what they were taught to believe was right.