Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

how do i kill blackberry bushes?

i have blackberry bushes and brambles on our property and want to eliminate them.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

cut them real short and then try and get as many of the roots out as possable and then get some round up or some kind of weed killer this will kill the remaining roots and then you can just pull them up

hope this works out for you

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A spray for broadleaved plants will not kill the narrowleaved grasses beneath the blackberries. "2,4-D" is the common chemical name found at the garden centers and is one of the least expensive sprays.

However, this drifts. It'll kill or twist other broadleaved plants nearby.

To kill the plant directly, apply Roundup, to the plants you want to kill ONLY. This will kill all green plants. It's more expensive than other plants.

If you don't want to use chemicals, these can be forked out of the ground. I would use a 4 tned "potato fork". But, roots will sometimes (often) spring up. Mowing over and over can exhaust the sprouts eventually.

Source(s): masters degree, horticulture
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I would use round-up. If it is only this one plant a ready-mixed spray version would be more economical. Sodium chlorate will prevent anything growing in that spot for a while. Roundup is neutralised by the soil and you will be able to re-seed fairly quickly after the application.

• 1 decade ago

Ortho "Bush B Gone" (a tougher version of "Weed B Gone") will kill shrubby plants. Be careful not to get it on anything you don't want to kill!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Cut them back and then spray them with something strong like Poison Ivy killer. It took me several years to eliminate mine. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

what a shame! I love blackberries. I guess you could cut them down. Ask a garden shop, they'll be opening soon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

YA DON'T--YOU SPRAY THEM WITH EVERY SPRAY KNOWN TO MAN THAT "GUARANTEES" IT KILLS THEM JUST TO SEE THEM RAISE THEIR UGLY SELVES AGAIN-OH YES, SURE, YOU CAN TRY TO HACK THEM TO DEATH BUT THE ONLY REAL WAY TO TOTALLY ELIMINATE THEM IS TO DIG UP EVERY SINGLE ROOT----------GOOD LUCK

Source(s): WASHINGTON STATE NATIVE (BLACKBERRY BUSHES EVEN IN THE CITY)
  • 1 decade ago

round up...lots and lots of round up

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

let chuck norris do the killing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.