Case study about blood dyscrasia?

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A THOROUGH CASE STUDY ABOUT ANY BLOOD DYSCRASIA? I'VE BEEN SEARCHING MY BOOKS AND FOUND NOTHING...

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Rich M, Ritterhoff R, Hoffmann R (Dec 1950). "A fatal case of aplastic anemia following chloramphenicol (chloromycetin) therapy.". Ann Intern Med 33 (6): 1459-67

Nagao T, Mauer A (1969). "Concordance for drug-induced aplastic anemia in identical twins.". N Engl J Med 281 (1): 7-11.

Wallerstein R, Condit P, Kasper C, Brown J, Morrison F (Jun 16 1969). "Statewide study of chloramphenicol therapy and fatal aplastic anemia.". JAMA 208 (11): 2045-50.

The most serious side effect of chloramphenicol treatment is aplastic anaemia. This effect is rare and is generally fatal: there is no treatment and there is no way of predicting who may or may not get this side effect. The effect usually occurs weeks or months after chloramphenicol treatment has been stopped and there may be a genetic predisposition. It is not known whether monitoring the blood counts of patients can prevent the development of aplastic anaemia, but it is recommended that patients have a blood count checked twice weekly while on treatment. The highest risk is with oral chloramphenicol (affecting 1 in 24,000–40,000) and the lowest risk occurs with eye drops (affecting less than 1 in 224,716 prescriptions).

Hope this helps.

Rick the pharmacist

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.