what is the different between organic grade A maple syrup and organic Grade B maple Syrup?

i really want to know if there is a big difference

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) assigns grades to the maple syrup sold in the the U.S. These grades are: Grade A Light Amber, Grade A Medium Amber, Grade A Dark Amber, and Grade B. The grading of syrup sold in the United States is voluntary (like USDA Beef Grading).

Grade A Light Amber (or Fancy) is very light in color and has a faint, delicate maple flavor. It is usually made earlier in the season when the weather is colder. Many people use this grade for serving on pancakes. It is also widely used for making maple candies.

Grade A Medium Amber is darker and has an easily discernable maple flavor. I like using this grade for serving on pancakes and waffles. I also use it for baking since it has a stronger flavor than Light Amber.

Grade A Dark Amber is very dark and has a strong maple flavor. Some people like the stronger flavor and use it as a table syrup, but this grade is mostly used for cooking and baking.

Grade B, sometimes called Cooking Syrup, extremely dark in color and has an extremely strong maple taste as well as hints of caramel. Because of its strong flavor, this is predominantly used in baked goods.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=...

PDF file

http://www.ams.usda.gov/standards/mplesirp.pdf

• 3 years ago

many supermarkets furnish actual grade b maple syrup. in the event that they have a wellbeing/organic and organic section that's the area to look. Our community food market has a delegated wellbeing ingredients/orgainc section and that they've the syrup.

• Lepke
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Most restaurants in Vermont will serve Grade A, but my husband and I prefer the stronger taste of the Grade B syrup. We use it over pancakes and in cooking/baking.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.