Which software would be better suited to my purposes, Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop?

I am an artist and I would like to start working with some of the computer programs out their. I would like use an Adobe product, but I am unsure what the differences are between Illustrator and Photoshop. With the name illustrator, I would assume this would be the logical choice, but from what I gather, alot of... show more I am an artist and I would like to start working with some of the computer programs out their. I would like use an Adobe product, but I am unsure what the differences are between Illustrator and Photoshop. With the name illustrator, I would assume this would be the logical choice, but from what I gather, alot of artist seem to prefer Photoshop. Can anyone recommend which would be better in my case? Please don't recomend one mainly based on price, only it's merits. I am willing to spend any amount of money, but if possible I would only like to purchase one product.