Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Johns Hopkins has found that plastic when frozen or heated causes cancer. What about PCV piping? It is plast

ic too.?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

'Plastic' actually describe many things, and those things might may better described as polymers.

PVC is a polymer. But quality polymers don't release anything worth talking about in water.

Some PVCs, on the market a few years ago, were stabilized with lead. Lead is highly poisonous, and the least of my worries in that case would be cancer, because it can cause really toxic effects in the nervous system all by itself. Those plastics were cheap, the kind you could find in toys from the dollar store or cheap plastic blinds. The sale of objects made out of this plastic is now forbidden.

Plastics which are used for food purpose dont release anything detectable in water at reasonnable pH. They may soften and release some plastifiers and stabilizers in solvents, which, needless to say, are not part of the average person's food habits (and if they are, the solvents themselves are more likely to induce cancer than the small amount of chemicals they might release).

Copper pipes with lead soldering are actually more dangerous for your health than PVC piping. If you have those, don't cook, prepare food or drink with hot tap water. Also, let tap water run for 30 sec- 1min before you use any of it for cooking or drink. I have run these analyses myself in my bacc. studies, and it has convinced me to do this !

Source(s): BSc in chemistry
  • Panda
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Busted.

It's a well known email HOAX that plastic when frozen or heated causes cancer . . email credits John Hopkins for study. So none of this is true. Folks should be very careful about what they believe to be true. Research your facts thoroughly.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MED/content/MED_6_1x...

"The folks at Johns Hopkins sat down with Dr. Rolf Haden, assistant professor at Department of Environmental Health Sciences and the Center for Water and Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Dr. Haden dispelled the myth saying "This is an urban legend. There are no dioxins in plastics. In addition, freezing actually works against the release of chemicals."

The bottom line is that there is no cancer risk in drinking water from frozen water bottles."

"The claim that plastic water bottles will release dioxins when frozen is entirely unfounded. So is the claim that plastic food wraps and containers can release dioxins in the microwave oven.

The vast majority of plastics used in food wraps, packaging containers and beverage bottles do not contain the chemical constituents that form dioxins. In addition, dioxins are a family of compounds that are produced by combustion at high temperatures. They can only be formed during combustion at temperatures typically above 700 degrees Fahrenheit; they cannot be formed at room temperature or in freezing temperatures.

According to FDA, “ With regard to dioxins, we have seen no evidence that plastic containers or films contain dioxins and know of no reason why they would.”

Source(s): Experienced researcher. Urban legend, myth, and hoax guru. Watch Mythbusters.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.