Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

why, during lyndon johnson's presidentcy, did congress pass the gulf of tonkin resolution.?

• sarayu
    Favorite Answer

Following the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, Lyndon Johnson, who was up for re-election that year, launched retaliatory strikes and went on national television on August 4, 1964. Although the USS Maddox (DD-731) had been involved in providing intelligence support for South Vietnamese attacks at Hon Me and Hon Ngu, Johnson's Secretary of Defense, Robert McNamara, went before Congress and denied that the United States Navy was supporting South Vietnamese military operations. He thus characterized the attack as “unprovoked.” He also claimed before Congress that there was “unequivocal proof” of an “unprovoked” second attack against the Maddox.

Mainly as a result of McNamara's testimony, on August 7, U.S. Congress passed a joint resolution (Wikisource: H.J. RES 1145) that facilitated increased U.S. military activity in Vietnam. The floor vote in the House was 416-0 although Representative Eugene Siler of Kentucky paired against the Resolution. The Senate approved it 88-2, with Senators Wayne Morse of Oregon and Ernest Gruening of Alaska casting the only nay votes.

It is of historical significance because it gave U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson approval, without a formal declaration of war, “To take all necessary steps, including the use of armed force, to assist any member or protocol state of the Southeast Asia Collective Defense Treaty requesting assistance in defense of its freedom.”[1] Both Johnson and President Richard Nixon used the Resolution as a justification for escalated involvement in Indochina.

V

I am not really that much into politic's. Why? Because I can't do a dam thing about it. It just makes me mad. I can't believe that over 64% of the human popualtion are retards. The biggest retard of all is in office. And alot of them want to disagree just to disagree. My opinion of the I.Q. of men isn't very flattering, and I don't care what people think about me. Vote for who YOU think would be a good president , but men don't have a very good record in running the country. Then whenever get's in office screws up, someone else will yell to hear their own voices.

They were conned once again. Johnson constued our incursion as a deliberate attack in international waters.

To give them an excuse to escalate in Vietnam

Because they were lied to, same as Bushco lied about Iraq.