What is the difference between cable television and syndicated television?

I've recently gotten into vintage wrestling(70's and 80's) and I always hear about how syndication of your show was essential before cable came into play. What are the differences between these two types of television, and what made cable so much better than syndication?

Favorite Answer

When a show is produced in this case wrestling it usually has a parent company. (WWE Titan Sports, TNA Panda something) That parent company makes a deal with a cable television (comcast for example) station and they air it for so many years or however long the contract is. If a program is in syndication they film the show and any cable or regular station (free tv) can air that show. (money always plays a big role) It is usually a year to year contract.

• Tiff

Well, cable is called so because it comes into your house through a cable instead of air waves.

from wikipedia:

In the television industry (as in radio), syndication is the sale of the right to broadcast programs to multiple stations, without going through a broadcast network. It is common in countries where television is organized around networks with local affiliates, notably the United States. In the rest of the world, however, countries have mainly centralised networks without local affiliates and syndication is less common. Shows can also be syndicated internationally.

Source(s): wikipedia my brain

When something goes into synidication it means that it is an existing shows reruns that are now being played on another channel other than the channel it was originally aired on. Cable is just that. A television service provider as opposed to your local channels you get on your tv without any cable or satelite hooked up to it . For example, there are many syndicated shows on cable channels such as Everybody Loves Raymond, Sex & The City etc on TBS ando ther cable channels.

Got it now? :)

Or IOW, what Mr. Sir above me said.....

• Dane

Syndication has nothing to do with broadcasting the content. Cable is simply a content broadcasting mechanism. Syndication is selling a package of "content" for replay. Think "I love lucy". Typically at least three years worth of programming( about 100 epiodes) is required to make syndication economically viable.

Syndicated tv are local channels in la that would be KTLA KCal and the such... Cable would be stations like A&E TNT and so on. Cable is paid tv syndicated is free

• John G

Syndicated show are produced then sold to your local stations to fill their air time. Wheel of Fortune is a good example. ''

Cable is where you watch the syndicated show.

Syndicated I think means edited for content. I just watched an SNL version of the Sopranos. Hilarious.

Syndicated- what they show on non-cable tv, stuff made for multiple channels.

Cable stuff tends to be made for one and only one channel.

Check out this link about syndicated tv. Hope that helps.http://www.snta.com/php/display.php?p=AU_faqs

I'm not sure, I have never heard of syndicated television.