Is it bad to exercise at night?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I work a full time job and attend school full time in the evenings four days a week. I want to start exercising everyday but will it be bad if I exercise everyday after eating dinner ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Depends what time you go to bed. It might give you an energy boost that'll keep your from falling asleep right away. I usually work out at night, because i don't have time in the morning. I'd say if you can exercise and have like an hour to relax afterwards you should be OK. I usually have a lot of energy and feel great for a couple of hours, then my body relaxes and wants sleep. Well, give it a try tonight and see how you do. But other than it affecting your sleep cycle I don't see a problem with it. It's better than not exercising at all.

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
Thanks for the information my boyfriend and I are planning to do some walking tonight after school.
  • 7
  • Comment

Other Answers (20)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • crimson_with_fury answered 7 years ago
    No it is not bad. You get the same benefit out of exercising no matter what time of day it is.
    • 7
    • Comment
  • juggalette~dopey answered 7 years ago
    no its not bad my mother works out ever nite from 7-9 at the gym and then comes home and works out more but its not bad its actually better becuase your workin out your dinner its actually bad to eat late cus then the food doesnt digest fast cus you jus go to bed but if you work it out then its good so no its not bad
    • 6
    • Comment
  • ASHLEY answered 7 years ago
    Its good. If you excercise in the morning and then you eat all day long that wont do you any good. At night you can burn everything off that you have ate throughout the day.
    • 7
    • Comment
  • Card Shark answered 7 years ago
    No it's fine. I prefer to exercise at night because nobody is around and it ensures i get a good nights sleep, waking up refreshed. Exercising in the morning tires me out.
    • 6
    • Comment
  • Mike G answered 7 years ago
    No its good
    • 5
    • Comment
  • Carrie answered 7 years ago
    I go to school and then i work and i dont get home till 7 i eat and i exercise at 8. It's good to exercise at night so you burn off all you have eaten through out the day! And you lose more weight i swear i've bin doing it for 8 months and i've lost 15 pounds.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Josie answered 7 years ago
    Having someone to walk with you helps a lot and can give both of you much encouragement. It's also safer. Pay attention to how you feel afterward, if you're wound up and awake, or tired and ready to go to bed. If you can't get to sleep easily afterward, try fitting in 2 or 3 little 10 minute walks throughout the day. You can also wear a pedometer. You might be surprised at how much you walk already.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Derrick Zooolander answered 7 years ago
    not at all! iI would work out till midnight almost every night for years.. I 'was' in the best shape of my life... then i got this lame needy GF...ug! + tons of my friends go to the gym at night and say the place is packed with personal trainers.. go work it girl!
    • 4
    • Comment (1)
  • Rose G answered 7 years ago
    It's not bad for you but exercise does release endorphines which tend to kick up your energy level so it may be harder to fall asleep right after exercise.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• iWISH iWAS answered 7 years ago
    No there is nothing wrong with working out at night. But i personally like to work out in the morning. I feel more live thoughout the day... more awake and can focus and concentrate more... plus get it out of the way.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Ed D answered 7 years ago
    its actually good, cause it will get your metabolism boosted for while your sleeping, plus it may help you sleep more restfully.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Beautiful Disaster answered 7 years ago
    That is the only time I have to workout too. Late exercise is better than no exercise....not unless you can get up earlier.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • hm_pearl answered 7 years ago
    It is not bad to exercise at night if u have not time for that early in the morning but two things are to be remembered that the exercise in the morning gets u ready for whole day and at night u are just burning fats. But care should be taken that some exercises after meals are otherwise hazardous so the exercises of empty stomach should not be attempted.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Larry m answered 7 years ago
    It will get you going and you'll have trouble getting to sleep
    • 2
    • Comment
  • nofear_intrepid answered 7 years ago
    It's not bad to exercise at night,it IS not advisable to exercise after dinner.Try it before dinner and don't do it on a daily basis.It isn't necessary.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • JennCA answered 7 years ago
    It isn't the best because your body needs to calm down before going to sleep. If you need to exercise late at night, I'd recommend something relaxing...like yoga. Also if you exercise late you might get the munchies and eating late isn't great either. Morning exercise would give you energy and speed up your metabolism the whole day long.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Malkovich Kitten answered 7 years ago
    Not if you want a good nights sleep. Exercise at night will increase heart pace and keep you awake and active for hours into the night. I suggest doing basic exercise in between breaks or just when sitting down.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • i hate school answered 7 years ago
    go do some exercise around 7-8 pm and that way you can eat dinner after that
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Blunt Honesty answered 7 years ago
    It's not bad for you, no. It is better if you exercise early in the morning, but it isn't bad to exercise at night.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Eve answered 3 months ago
    i find that exercising at night keeps me up...especially if it's been an intense workout....i would suggest doing a more moderate workout as you don't want it to interfere with your quality of sleep as that is very important after exercise. exercise at night is better than no exercise, but still morning exercise is best as then you get to utilise all those endorphins while you are awake!
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock