Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Is it true that in California, it's illegal to issue coupons with expiration dates?

My friend told me that in California, stores are legally obligated to let you use expired coupons. Is this true?

Favorite Answer

Completely false....She may have gotten some other laws confused and made up this one....

I'm assuming she was mixing these laws up....

1. a gift certificate cannot expire in the state of CA if this was paid in cash

2. however, gift certificates in the state of CA are subject to monthy/yearly fees. (sucks I know)

3. When coupons are expried the retailer/manufacture are not held legaly responsible for honoring beyond their expiriy. They sometimes will honor (rare) the coupon in good faith.

Source(s): Worked retail, took many law classes in college, lived 20 + years in CA.
  • niston

California Coupon Law

In California, coupons (or gift certificates given or sold at a deep discount) may have an expiration date. The California law that makes folks think that coupons can not expire in California only covers Gift Certificates paid for at full value. Those, even if they show an expiration date, do not expire in California.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): true california 39 illegal issue coupons expiration dates: https://biturl.im/gSRUj

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awaga

I don't know about coupons, but expiration dates on GIFT CERTIFICATES and GIFT CARDS do not apply in California.

• Grace

Only way you can use a coupon after its expiration date is if you are in the military..they are able to use coupons three months after the expiration date..many people send their expireds to them for help out :)

• Robert

No, if you take a cupons into the store after the expiration date and try to use it they offer to throw it away for you.

Though, your friend may have been confused by the laws regulating gift cards and gift certificates, because recent California law says that they can't expire or have fees applied because of inactivity. (pre-paid credit cards falls under other laws and do expire)

Source(s): I worked at a Vons (Safeway) over last summer.

Not that I know of. I don't use my expired coupons.

~Why would ANYONE issue coupons that are expired? Common sense tells you not to use expired coupons. I would call that illegal.

Of course, Arnold wants Illegals to have Health Insurance, so anything is possible in California with him as the Governor.~

• Jolly1

No, this isn't true. If it was, no one would issue coupons.