do you believe in giving money to beggers?

Favorite Answer

No, I no longer believe in giving money to beggars; I've been burned by doing this. I give to charities that will actually do good w/the money.

So how does one know whether a charity or non-profit is really doing good work, and doing so effectively? Well, one way is to use a website that gives information and/or rates charities. For example, I've used the following resources with varying success to find and rate a charity within the United States:

http://www.charitynavigator.org (Opens a new window. I like this one...)

http://www.guidestar.org/ (Opens a new window. Requires free registration.)

http://www.give.org (Opens a new window. A Better Business Bureau site.)

(In fact, I asked a question here related to this: What resources do you use, if any, to check out charities before giving money to them?)

If you care to read more...

I've given money to people in the past, but there were times when I haven't been as rational or smart as I could have been. In fact, there's a saying that I'm reminded of, that goes something like "A fool and her money are soon parted." I have given money to a guy outside a convenience store who said he simply needed $1 to put in enough gas to get home. I was skeptical, but he was both persistent and a little scary. So I gave him $1 or $2. I watched him then get out of the car that looked stolen (because the lock had been popped out; I noticed this afterwards), and go right in and buy alcohol. I got out of there, upset and ashamed at myself for being 'taken' like that.

So I was that fool whose money was gone. I pretty much resolved from then on to give to charities instead of individuals. On a very rare occasion I will still give to an individual. If they're asking for food, I may give them food or offer to buy them something; I really try not to give cash to people on the street anymore. I do, however, try to give to charities. That is, of course, where I've also been a 'fool' on occasion...

Some 'charities' or 'non-profit' organizations are hardly charitable, and some aren't even really non-profit. For example, some of the credit counseling businesses that prey on those that are already financially down; they pay their staff huge salaries, and don't really help those that are in need. It's obscene, and I think the US government is finally getting a clue and doing something about it.

Then there are the charities that really are out trying to do good work for their stated purpose, and yet aren't doing so well at getting the most of every cash donation to those they are trying to serve. Some charities, even nationally-known charities, spend 25% on raising funds. Combined with other administrative expenses (paying for accountants, lawyers, staff, offices, whatever) they really don't get much-- or, really, as much as they could (and should, IMNSHO)-- of the money to whomever they're trying to serve.

Of course, there is the argument that giving some money to charity is better than giving no money to charity. In addition, there are charities that do a really good job of keeping their costs (expenses, including fund-raising) low, and getting over 90% of the cash donation to those whom are served.

In the United States, charities that have over $25,000 of revenue are required to submit a Form 990 about how they have used money, etc. The GuideStar site seems to have these (and you can get the form without paying anything).

Source(s): Personal experience, research on the web.
  • Mutly

no I don't. I know there are people out there who are asking for money that might actually be using it to get food. but I also know that are a good number of people that are on the street corner begging for money because they can make more money that way than getting a job. I have been know to go and get food for people living on streets, and I have offered to buy for others who told me they didn't want the food just the money.

I know what it's like to be homeless. I was for several months in the summer of 2005 in Denver. it's not an easy life, and most of the homeless are suffering from some sort of mental illness (not all of them but most of the ones I met were) there are plenty of organizations that will help the homeless. give them food, free medical care, and a place to sleep at night. like I said it's not an easy life, and for some it's the only life they know, but giving them money isn't going to help them, so the answer is no I don't believe in giving beggers money.

Source(s): personal experience

Yes. Because ultimately, the act of giving is not so much about them or what they will do, but about how I treat another human being. Even the ones that are not "like" me. Not treating a person like a piece of garbage, but as Jesus taught us to treat others. With love.

Besides, if devoting her life to the poor and "beggars" was good enough for Mother Theresa, giving a couple of bucks here and there is the least I can do.

No. Most of the ones I encounter seem able bodied and fairly sound minded. So it just annoys me to be asked for a hand-out. I have a couple charities that I always give to and I know what they do with the money I give. I'd rather do that.

I will give a little to help, I'd rather buy them a sandwhich so I know the money will be spent on food.

I went out for an early morning shoot a while back...it was like 50 degrees...kid come up, wearing a t-shirt, begging for a buck. I never carry cash on me...so I gave him my sweatshirt instead.

So, no...I don't believe in giving beggars money.

• Lisa E

No, I believe in giving food or blankets to beggars, but money to verified charitable organizations who try to help beggars. That way, if they want REAL help...it's there through the charity.

Handing them money for booze is enabling them to continue the downward spiral.

No. I personally feel that in the time they have spent on a corner just standing there begging for my hard EARNED money, they could be collecting cans, flipping burgers, or mowing lawns for money.

I also hate to see hitch-hikers. In the time they spend standing along side of the road, they could have walked to where they wanted to go.

No, I don't. Last month near Christmas I drove up to park in a shopping center and a man standing there when I got out of my car asked if I had a dollar. I told him "Yes I do but not for you." Those people are annoying to other people going about their business.

No, and it's hard to help them because a lot have some kind of mental problems, so they refuse to go to a shelter or accept help from the people who want to help them. I will give them a meal if they want it.