Can we mix same engine oil grades but from different brands, ie(castrol and pennzoil10W-30)?

Both lubricants are the same grade 10W-30 but I need to add more oil since its low(on Castrol) and I can't find that brand at any of the local stores. I have pennzoil from when i did the last oil change of the same grade.

Favorite Answer

As long as they are both the same classification, yes, brand doesn't matter.

Classification isn't a reference to the grade, but to the classification shown on the container.

As long as the oil is classified as "SJ", or "SL" or "SM" it is intended for a gasoline engine, or spark fired engines.

The other classification designation is "CJ", or "CL", or "CM" and refers to compression fired, or diesel.

Happy Motoring

Source(s): ASE Tech
  • ?

Mixing Motor Oil Brands

• Louise

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axEp6

Some people really don't understand oil. You can mix grades, and you can mix synthetic and dino oil safely, as long as they meet or exceed the specifications of the motor you have. 1 litre of 5-40 with 4 litres of 5-30 would give you an effective mix of about 5-32. None of the oil will degrade faster, and there will be no sludge formation or any other ill effects. Mind you the only reason for ever topping up with a different grade should be the fact you are low, at home or in the middle of nowhere, and that is the only bottle of oil you have available.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): mix engine oil grades brands castrol pennzoil10w 30: https://biturl.im/oFNZy

Personally, I would NOT mix different brands of motor oil. One never knows if the additives in one oil brand are compatible with the additives in the other brand. I would instead recommend another weight of oil IN THE SAME BRAND. For instance, the 10w30 Castrol can't be found. Can you find a quart of Castrol 5w30? Both are still 30 winter oils. Both are the same brand. As far as using a synthetic, I would prefer that over another brand too. Can you find Castrol Synblend or Castrol Edge? Any brand oil is compatible with it's own brand in another oil category. Conventional to synthetic. IMHO, do not mix brands, instead look for another weight or another oil category within the same brand.

Yes, you can mix them safely with no ill effects at all. Oil companies won't tell you this but having been in the industry for so long, all motor oil is the same base stock, the only difference is the additive package each company adds to the base, they all have their secret formulations, mostly its advertising to separate themselves from the crowd but in reality they are all the same.

I would not mix a synthetic with a regualr however, but regualr to regualr, no problem.

Source(s): In auto industry about 35 years, yikes, has it been that long!!

Can we mix MOBIL DTE 10 EXCEL 100 with SHELL TELLUS S2 V 100 both hydraulic oils viscosity is same

• Elaine

1

Source(s): Penny Stocks Trading http://tradepennystocks.gelaf.info/?3poF

It's not a problem. But I would make sure both oils meet the same API rating.

Source(s): ASE tech - 20 yrs (ret)

not the best idea but really will not hurt..any oil is better than no oil