XP Disk Cleanup question--Compressing old files?

Hi. I would like to free up some hard drive space. I have an 80GB drive and 9 GB remaining. When i run the Disk Cleanup utility it indicates that if i check the Compress old files option, approximately 5 GB will be freed up. The accompanying note says that "compresssing the files will save disk space while... show more Hi. I would like to free up some hard drive space. I have an 80GB drive and 9 GB remaining. When i run the Disk Cleanup utility it indicates that if i check the Compress old files option, approximately 5 GB will be freed up. The accompanying note says that "compresssing the files will save disk space while still enabling you to access them. No files will be deleted." My question to any knowledgeable person is, Any reason not to compress these random files? Is there a drawback? What if I do need them? What does XP actually do with compressed files? What really is an "old file?" Will it change them in any way? I would love to get the extra 5GB because I do a lot of audio editing and need as much free space as I can get. THank you very much for your advice. Much appreciated.
5 answers 5